• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mosin Threading problems

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
Tried to get the Mosin action and barrel separated today and even with all the force in the world it was not unscrewing. Anyone have any ideas?

So we tried to get the Mosin in the mill with the action still on which worked, but the Mosin's rear sight wouldn't allow us to line in up properly. My rear sight happens to be soldered and has a set screw. The set screw in the rear sight seems to be completely stuck, I sprayed it with PB blaster, but it only soaked for 2 hours max and had no effect. Any ideas on how to get the rear sight removed?

And does anyone have the dies for threading the 5/8x24 by hand? I think this may just have to be the way I thread it since the rear sight doesn't look like it's coming off and the barrel doesn't look like it's ever going to leave this action.

Will you be using the irons with the can? I assume you're threading for a can and not a muzzle brake. If not, drill out the set screw. Even if you plan to use 'em, drill it out and tap it for one size bigger.

Did ya try putting heat to the action to loosen it up? That's how they did it on that episode of American Guns. I miss Paige. Did I just say that out loud?

Oh, and I wanna shoot it w/the can on it!

Somehow there was a part of me that knew this thread was going to pop up after I saw your were headed over to Nonlib's place to try and thread that thing. :lol:

As Hayata said, heat Is your friend....I unbarreled a Mosin action once and have taken several rear sights off....all of them required several minutes with propane, punch, and hammer to convince inertia to release it's hold.

If I were you though, I'd try and get a die and do it by hand.....sometimes the rust is and gunk is what's holding those old birds together!

Back
Top Bottom