Most fuel economical small cars?

1988 CRX HF. I usually pump out around 45 mpg. High of 51, low of 37 that I've ever recorded. And it was only $1000 :) It's definitely not the fastest car, but it handles well and is surprisingly roomy and the ride is pretty good. Just a 2-seater though!
i52.tinypic.com_13zzaqu.jpg

Is that a Gordon parking tag I spy up there? I had to drive my friends car home yesterday evening, lets just say he was a little indisposed...lol...he had a newer one like this maybe mid 90's? its the curvier body style. It drove really good, for some reason his 1st was VERY touchy but it drove fine once it was going, actually easier to take off going up hill than flat which was very odd to me, never had a maual do that....Anyways he drives a TON for his job averageing 200-300 miles a day, and he says his gets around what you said, a little less though. Possibly cause its newer, I don't know.

Nope, a west ga tag :) They stopped making the CRX after '91, but they made the Del Sol which was essentialy the same car, but it had a trunk instead of the hatchback. Otherwise it could've just been a civic hatch. If it got that high of mpg's it was probably a VX hatch... was it a four seater?

Nope, a west ga tag :) They stopped making the CRX after '91, but they made the Del Sol which was essentialy the same car, but it had a trunk instead of the hatchback. Otherwise it could've just been a civic hatch. If it got that high of mpg's it was probably a VX hatch... was it a four seater?

I drove it today for him again, its like a 94 ish civic. Not a hatchback its just a 2 door civic with little back seats. It drove fine for me today, I just had to get adjusted to how is clutch felt.

i867.photobucket.com_albums_ab232_canyonrunner331_Honda_CR_Z_Concept_2009.jpg

Honda CRZ 6speed hybrid. 35mpg city, 40mpg hwy

I still find it hilarious how a car that's based on the crx, is 23 years newer, has a hybrid engine and an extra gear is rated lower MPG's than my CRX HF. Granted, it's probably a bit safer and faster, but it seems that they could do better!

I still find it hilarious how a car that's based on the crx, is 23 years newer, has a hybrid engine and an extra gear is rated lower MPG's than my CRX HF. Granted, it's probably a bit safer and faster, but it seems that they could do better!

Reports are coming in by many owners and test drivers that when in "ECON" mode the CRZ actually gets around 45 MPG. Of course thats driving slow and following the computers shift indicators. Still, the EPAs estimates are a bit off on this car (39 mpg).
Just for comparison your 88 CRX put out 62hp when it was brand new and weighs 1800lbs. The CRZ puts out 128hp and weighs 2700lbs while getting the same MPGs. Still find it "hilarious" Collin?
i820.photobucket.com_albums_zz127_ADV1WHEELS_ADV1_20Honda_20CRZ_20project_2IMG_2216.jpg

Rumor has it that Honda has an SI and SIR version on its way that will not be hybrid and put out 220hp.

Last edited:
Yep, it is still funny to me. I just filled up yesterday, and the last tank I got 51 mpg, not even really trying. It seems to do better in warmer months (less dense air maybe?). If the CRZ was not a hybrid I guess I could accept the gas mileage it gets. I'm just trying to figure out how they added so much weight. I wouldn't think the safety features would add all that much weight, but I could be wrong. I'll keep my CRX HF and save that $20k price tag and put it to go another 250k miles :)

Back
Top Bottom