• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most reliable 1911 ( Full Size) under or around 1200 Bucks

I like the external extractors, they tend to be more reliable if you find yourself picking up reloads they are a little oversized on the auto rim. When traditional internal extractors will fail. Thanks for the good word on the Scorpion pistol you have there looks great.
Do you mean the diameter of the rim is larger from getting slammed so much. I ask because I have started reloading. I've had better luck with my reloads than factory. this afternoon I had 2 failures in about 70 shots, both were failure to feed all the way into the chamber. It looked like the extractor may have stopped stopped the slide when it tried to pass the rim. An external extractor may be the ticket.

I guess every persons definition of "reliable" is different. I have many times heard people say their CZs and Baretta 92s running 2 or 3 thousand rounds without one failure. Can a 1911 do this with good mags, good technique and good ammo.

I believe it to be so. If quality ammo is used. Out of the four I owned I only had one ftf and that was because the action was too tight. After some 1000 grit sand paper to the slide channels that was gone. Every gun is a machine and they are apt to fail sometimes. Every gun is different but if you get the right one and use proper technique and good quality ammo I believe they will be every bit as reliable. Reliability is what the gun is renown for. There are a lot of sub-par mags out there that can have you pulling your hair out. Wilson Combat is always a safe bet. I can't remember haveing a failure even with the Taurus. The problem with the Remy was the tolerances were too tight but that was fixed immediately with little effort. Like a member said earlier a used TRP would make me jealous but would definitely foot the bill. That gun is a hell of a firearm.

Well as has been mentioned in the above posts, I own a Dan Wesson and words can't describe how great this pistol is. If you can put a lil more money with what you have go with Dan Wesson or second best choice would be, as previously stated get a TRP. Tons of great reviews on these fine pistols. I do own a springfield 1911 but my next will be the TRP.

I've read every post in this thread. The guys whose opinions I most respect have all recommended the SPRINGFIELD TRP.

As the owner of Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown and others....I agree with them.

Springfield TRP.

Subbed for info as well.

After reading up on 1911's quite a bit in the past few months, I settled on a Springfield mil spec. I like the reviews and feedback, the looks, the price, and the company. I can always add upgrades and will probably go that route eventually. It will also help me to learn the weapon better. I didn't want to dive into the 1911 world by spending $1k or more. No need to do that when I can get a decent one for around $600 and really run it through the paces to make sure I want to continue on with the 1911. I haven't even shot mine yet so I have no opinion other than the couple I have shot in the past year, and they were great...But I only fired 100-200 rounds.

I have no experience with several "popular" brands, but out of the 8 1911s I've owned, only my Dan Wesson and my Rock Island 10mm have been 100% reliable.

I also don't buy into the popular theory that different magazine brands make one more reliable, ie. Wilson, Chip Mccormick mags. Maybe it works for some guns, but it didn't make any difference in any of the ones I owned.

Another thing I don't believe in is spending money to try to make an unreliable gun into a reliable gun. If it's not reliable from day one out of the box, I get rid of it.

Also remember everybody's opinion about deferent brands are just that an opinion.
The experience each person has with one particular Brand is not what others will experience.
I have built 1911's from Frame up and had the same results as others with other brands (just and example of high cost Parts) and I have had a ATI 350.00 1911 that was just as reliable.
The 1911 Platform is a reliable firearm in all its Appearances and shapes.
The Debate will always go on about this brand is better than that brand when in reality you get good and bad in anything.
Now my experience has been, if the pistol is in spec it will shoot Ball ammo (as designed) till you run out of ammo and never an issue.
I have owned all of the ones mentioned so far in this Thread, but you asked for "opinion".
Best suggestion is go to a range that rents the pistols you like and shoot them and see for yourself.
I have a Springfield RO that will always be in my collection as well as the Ruger 1911 too.
I will never own another Kimber, The pistol was reliable but again another story for another day.
I have a Palmetto State 1911 that is just a eating machine and I built it up from a frame (back when they sold off frames) it is mostly Wilson Parts, and it was fun building it.
I have a Rock Island Compact 1911 that has never FTF FTE Ever and I paid 400.00 for it like new on the ODT (lol).
With all of these "Brands" just chose the one that appeals to you and GO.
OOPS forgot to mention the External Ejectors on some 1911 Look-a-likes LOL.
I have 2 that have external Ejectors and the both are Awesome shooters with Zero Issues so do not let Purest who do not like external ejectors Turn you away from a Fine 1911 Pistol.
I have the Sig and a Smith and Wesson 1911 and both are awesome shooters.
This is a more Detailed "Opinion" as I was at work on my last one and today I am Off Work.
So in Summary any of the ones mentioned in this Thread will be a Fine Pistol for you to own.
If the pistol is in Spec it should shoot ball ammo till you run out of it.
Just my REAL .02 worth. YMMV

I guess every persons definition of "reliable" is different. I have many times heard people say their CZs and Baretta 92s running 2 or 3 thousand rounds without one failure. Can a 1911 do this with good mags, good technique and good ammo.
I will say this, I don't run my guns dirty, mine get cleaned and lubed almost everytime they are shot, so while I have shot my ruger 1911 a good bit with 0 problems, I can not attest to how it performs when it's all dirty.

Back
Top Bottom