• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My first reload

GaCracker63

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
26   1
Reaction score
I loaded my first 50 cartridges last night was a lot more difficult than I thought to get started. Once I got the dies fiqured out wasn't to bad. I did 45acp used acu#5 don't really like it hard to get measured think I will try a couple more powders that yall suggested next go round. Haven't shot any of my loads yet to see how they do, I measured all by hand, didn't like the way the powder dispensor worked with this powder. Anyway thought I would chime in and let yall know thanks for the help.

Congrat's on the first 50. Now you'll even get more satisfaction when ya get to go make them go BOOM! Off & on, I've been loading for a couple days' now, got a few more .30 carbine, .06, and .45acp to load for a trip to the range this weekend, weather permiting. I like Unique and Titegroup in the .45acp and I've seen where some don't like the Unique, but it's a pretty good crossover powder for several calibers and I've got no complaint's with it, although it doesn't meter as well as Titegroup.

What type of trouble did you have with the #5? I don't think anything else is going to meter any smoother than ball type powder. What type of measure are you using?

What type measure/ thrower are you using? I use a RCBS Uniflow. I've known people to wipe them out with a Dryer sheet. But usually after a little usage the cling will go away. Depending on what powder I'm loading, I'll check every 5th or 10th round I load against the scale.

The "powder measure" is the dispenser. The scale would be what you use to weigh your charge. Most weigh every charge until you trust the powder to meter properly, maybe every 10 or so thereafter. Usually after you get accustomed to things and the process, you may weigh less often and trust your visual inspection more. I use a Lee Auto Disk for handgun loads, and as mentioned above, when they're new powder will want to stick to the nylon/plastic used to make the hopper.

Back
Top Bottom