• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My prayer's have been answered

My goal on this one is to preserve not restore. I want to maintain the character of the patina and the years of weathering, not make them go away. I’m adding a little highlights to the carving with the same intention. Once the clear goes on the letters will pop but not look new. I want it to look old and a little beat up like it’s owner :p

View attachment 1902003 View attachment 1902004
Now that made me laugh, thanks..When I carved it on the tail gate of my truck, I wire brushed it to bring out the grain..And like you I took a torch to it, and light brush again..

Nice -- I would like to seen a video of the process for future projects

Really not much to it and the folks at Rot Doctor that GAGunguy GAGunguy mentioned are very knowledgeable. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with the sign when I took it (don’t tell DD) so I got on the webernets and started reading. I called all the players google could find and had conversations with their technical support. Rot doctor was the most informative and helpful so I went with them.

Yeah, I saw. How did you like that stuff? I havent worked with it yet. I have 2 gallons sitting in my shop.

I wouldn't use varnish on this...poly or 2 part clear will last way longer outside.

I've been using this on a boat restoration I'm doing. Varnish goes bad in a short time in the GA sun.

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-G...1544279421&sr=8-1&keywords=2+part+clear+spray

Oh and I think the rot doc stuff did exactly what it was suppose to. All that soft wood is dry, bonded together and hard now.

If you guys do it on a weekend, I would like to help if available. 30+ years in cabinets/construction. And I would like to shake DD's hand.

20181208_103522.jpg

Just in case you need verification as to whether I am a carpenter or not.

Back
Top Bottom