• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Snider Enfield .577 Warning, Picture Heavy!

So where is this place and can anyone go???

Yep, anyone. They say just call ahead and schedule an "appointment" to see the antique militaria warehouse. What that seems to consists of is calling Atlanta Cutlery and asking "Is this day good". They call over to the warehouse and the manager says yeah, come by any time after 11.

It feels like something you need to be special to go do, but hey... they let me in!!!!

here is the address and directions
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/t-contact.aspx

I cleaned up a "unmarked", "untouched" Martini Henry MKII and "untouched" MKIV. Great shooting guns, I'd love to get one of those sniders, but it isn't in the budget right now. I envy this project of yours.

Alright, busy weekend (having to actually work). Here's what I've done so far in my spare time.

I got the outside of the barrel cleaned up, chipped off the hard outer layer of the old dried gunk/grease with metal tools (it didn't scrape the metal as the inner layer of the grease seemed to protect it. Used CLP and 0000 Steel wool to remove the rest which seemed to work pretty well and didn't strip the blue/patina (very little actual blue left, mostly on the underside.

Picture is not that great, (too far away) and please ignore the torch by the extremely flammable/ explosive things (It has been removed)

I cleaned up the rear sight with the same chip and pick method but brushed it with a brass brush and CLP. After some soaking in penetrating oil and gentle tapping I was able to free the slider, which maybe too loose for my taste, (we will see what can be done about that later).

After that I carefully removed the screws and removed the pin from the, now bear with me I'm still learning Snider vernacular, what I believe is called the "shoe", it took some penetrating oil and slight coaxing.
(apparently I put a smudge of oil on the camera lens, that is not a ghost or whatever).

Last edited:
Everything seemed to come apart okay, the lever for the shoe came out easy and the nipple unscrewed by hand.

Here's where I encountered a problem., the latch pin I had to tap in to get the chamber open was stuck in its recessed position (I should have gotten and used a brass punch), It appeared that I tapped the pin into the wall of the body effectively fusing them together.

I tried making a tool to get into the side slot and tap it out (which didn't work), then I tried to cut around the pin in an attempt to free it, but finally (after 2 evenings of work) broke down and used a drill press to put a hole in the center of the pin, I then forced a slightly larger screw into it, put it in the vise and pulled it out with the claw portion of a hammer (it required a lot of force). I cut the screw off where it came out of the pin (using the remainder of the screw to fill the hole) and filed it down.

Last edited:
I cleaned up the lock.

Then I got to work on the stock, used a equal parts of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and vinegar (found the recipe online) and applied and let it soak, then used 0000 steel wool coated in the mixture. It seemed to work really well, but that stuff STUNK! Do this part outside!

I cleaned up all the remaining parts and put that sucka back together.

I cleaned the bore with a 12 gauge mop, a bore brush that was approximately 24 gauge and also used an ar-15 chamber brush, when I put a light in the bore, I was shocked at how well it cleaned up. I'll try to get a pic of this tonight.

Back
Top Bottom