• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Snider Enfield .577 Warning, Picture Heavy!

Okay, so I had to do some surgery on my rifle. It turns out the barrel was not as great as I had originally thought. I made a couple of rounds for it and shot it, (finding marginal accuracy, but quite fun to shoot) after cleaning it I realized that a chunk of that dried grease apparently came out of a huge pit in the barrel, that I wasn't able to see before. It looked like there was metal sticking up where bullets would strike it as it left. I feared that the pit would become much worse and may cause the barrel to crack eventually (aside from obvious accuracy problems). Needless to day I was sick after finding this; I thought about counter boring, but 1. it looked too deep. 2. the barrel is already thin and 3. I would have to find someone to do it.

If you click on the picture, and zoom in on photobucket you can see it in greater detail.

Fortunately since it was so close to the end of the barrel and in front of the front sight I decided to cut the barrel (not an easy decision to come to). I cut, filed and deburred the barrel. When I got the bad portion off I noted that the pit was almost half way through the barrel! I shortened the cleaning rod slightly and put it all back together. Other than that one I found a couple of specks of minor pitting through the bore, I can live with that.

Ill post more pics tonight when I can take some more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom