• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Snider Enfield .577 Warning, Picture Heavy!

So I'm back. I wanted to post here again once I was fully set up for reloading for the .577 snider. Life got in the way of fun and several months have passed, sorry. I haven't really messed with the rifle lately. I'm almost there metallic reloading wise, I just need to get my hands on some pure lead. I tried the Snider Chow method with the plastic shot shell hulls, which while worked had an extremely difficult time ejecting, as my chamber is tight :becky:. I'll post the work around I tried soon in case others want to try it. I need to give some credit where it is due I had great help from the awesome acmech (cool stuff his youtube channel ginsboy2003) he helped me get started reloading for it.

I'll post more later this weekend but for now here's a pic a buddy sent me of the first time I shot the rifle.
Screenshot_2015-03-28-19-56-35.png

when I began making the plastic shot shell rounds "snider chow" I noticed that they had a hard time fitting in the chamber, and an ever harder time coming out. I pretty much had to destroy them to remove them. I found on another forum where someone used a copper pipe fitting from a hardware store to size them. I found that fitting at my local hardware store without a problem

CAM00521.jpg
CAM00523.jpg

I found that pushing them through as is re sized them a little bit but not enough for my purposes, so I ended up putting it in a vice and applying heat to the fitting, then running the shell through (I also used this as a cut off guide to shorten the hulls). I found that I had to repeat this process again when the round was complete and let it cool off while in the fitting. This worked great for loading the round in the chamber, but it still expanded and created a rather difficult (but easier than before) extraction. This is when I decided to go to metallic cartridges.

I ordered brass from X-Ring Services, who converted brass 24 gauge shells. This was MUCH cheaper than the purpose made .577 shells, and Mr. Robinson is a great guy to deal with (xringservices@yahoo.com) he also makes 577/450 brass as well as other stuff.
The cases are very easy to load by hand. In my next post I'll show the way I've been loading them.

So I'm back. I wanted to post here again once I was fully set up for reloading for the .577 snider. Life got in the way of fun and several months have passed, sorry. I haven't really messed with the rifle lately. I'm almost there metallic reloading wise, I just need to get my hands on some pure lead. I tried the Snider Chow method with the plastic shot shell hulls, which while worked had an extremely difficult time ejecting, as my chamber is tight :becky:. I'll post the work around I tried soon in case others want to try it. I need to give some credit where it is due I had great help from the awesome acmech (cool stuff his youtube channel ginsboy2003) he helped me get started reloading for it.

I'll post more later this weekend but for now here's a pic a buddy sent me of the first time I shot the rifle.
View attachment 466619

Awesome, good to see it being fired for the first time in over 100 years! Excellent picture, well timed. Glad I was able to help.

Thats very cool. I remember reading about that discovery in shotgun news years ago. I need to go give that place a look.

I cast bullets and reload. If you need pure lead I have several tons in the shed out back. I also have a .57 mold that throws a hollow base slug meant for the 3 band Enfield if you need some let me know.

Okay, found a little time to load some rounds. Thanks to Sewerman68, I was able to get some lead and cast some bullets.

I made my own over powder wads by taking a sheet of cork (from office depot) and using a fired case (the case mouth is wider and made a tighter fit in the un-fired case) and cookie cuttered 2 cards per 1 case (due to the height of my bullets)
P9010072.JPG

(sorry blurry
P9010073.JPG

I then primed my case by placing the primer on a flat piece of metal and placed the case over it, I then put a pipe in the case and tapped it with a hammer until the case was flat on the metal
P9010074.JPG

P9010075.JPG
P9010076.JPG

Back
Top Bottom