• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help with 2000 Explorer upper control arm drivers side**UPDATE NO.2

mtnsmith

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
70   0
Reaction score
control arma.jpg
I am having trouble removing the bolts that hold the upper control arm on the drivers side of 2000 Ford Explorer 4wd. The right side bolt lacks about a half inch coming out as the head is hitting several metal tubes, gas I guess. I have moved one tube out of the way, but there are others that I haven't yet. The left bolt head I can hardly see from any angle but appears to be hitting the metal shock tower. Is there an easy way to remove these bolts. This vehicle has 97,000 miles on it and all the ball joint boots are broken.

The passenger side upper control arm is a two piece arm and have had no trouble with it and replaced the lower ball joint yesterday on that side.

Any advice will be appreciated. mtnsmith

I have a pic of the right bolt. As you can see I have the head past one gas line, but there is a larger one, silver colored, right behind the head. Sort of afraid to force those lines out of the way. However, is that the only way to removed this bolt?

Update #2: Got the left bolt out, but still struggling with the right bolt shown in the pic. No utube on how to remove the drivers side upper control arm for this vehiclle

Can't complain with service on this Explorer. Bought used in 2003 with 28k miles - second service ever, replaced chain tensioner about 6 months ago.

Just pray the transmission doesn't start slipping.
Or the rear bearings lock up while you're driving down the interstate.
I was relieved when my ex said she wanted it in the divorce. ..put it in her name so she was responsible for the payments & never looked back.

It can all be done with a hickory dowel (aka old shovel, hoe, pick handle, etc..)

That large line is a gas line and is so marked from the underside. It is secure about 3 inches to the left of the bolt head and about 5 inches to the right of the bolt head. Underside it is firmly secured with a metal bracket which probably has to come loose to move that line. It will not budge. added some more pics. Not sure I want to do all this. I have replaced both lower ball joints and brake pads and upper control arm on passenger's side.

I may just have to re-atach old arm ball joint and take it to a good shop. May take a look again in the morning.

Anybody know a good reputable shop around Marietta, Kennesaw, Dallas, or Acworth.

Added a couple of pics.
control arm 004.jpg
control arm 005.jpg

Just pray the transmission doesn't start slipping.
Or the rear bearings lock up while you're driving down the interstate.
I was relieved when my ex said she wanted it in the divorce. ..put it in her name so she was responsible for the payments & never looked back.

I have changed the tranny fluid ever 30k miles as the book says and hope it will go at least another 30K. Hope the rear bearings hold out to.

Locate the brackets holding the lines to the frame and remove them

Should be able to get enough movement then

Don't bend or force the lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locate the brackets holding the lines to the frame and remove them

Should be able to get enough movement then

Don't bend or force the lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did loosen one bracket but think I broke the clips holding it, but don't see how it can move as it has about 3 lines attached to it and going in opposite directions. May try to zip tie it back as it is on the inside of the shock tower.

I did have to push the small fuel line around a bit. It did seem a little loose in that area.

Thanks, mtnsmith

Back
Top Bottom