• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help picking a new truck.

oxbat

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
So apparently my wife has a new job and now I have to buy a truck...yay me!! She now owns her own business as an independent contractor with a route selling and delivering potato chips. The previous person had a Dodge 3500 with a 20' enclosed trailer. Pulling/parking/backing a trailer is NOT an option...so I guess I'm now looking for a box truck or step van. The only requirement I have at the moment is minimum 16' and the lowest entry/exit height possible. Hoping for a budget under 25k, so looking at used vehicles. Diesel/gas? Foreign/domestic? Looking at an appx 50 mile radius route and light weight (tater chips). Reliability, longevity, maintenance costs? Any and all options, insight, and direction appreciated.

Used? It'll be a PoS. Look for a cabover chassis with a side and rear entry box. That's what Flowers and Frito Lay are using. Take a look at Morgan Truck Body in Rydal, GA or Supreme in Griffin. Don't get a step van. AC is nice to have, and steps don't have it. Go with gas, unless you're planning on 1,000,000 miles a year for 10 years. Fuel is a lot cheaper and easier to find.

Ford Transit Van.
Drove one to KY and back, moving wife's stuff. AC, 10 ft long enclosed cargo space, easy in and out. Good power and mileage.

So apparently my wife has a new job and now I have to buy a truck...yay me!! She now owns her own business as an independent contractor with a route selling and delivering potato chips. The previous person had a Dodge 3500 with a 20' enclosed trailer. Pulling/parking/backing a trailer is NOT an option...so I guess I'm now looking for a box truck or step van. The only requirement I have at the moment is minimum 16' and the lowest entry/exit height possible. Hoping for a budget under 25k, so looking at used vehicles. Diesel/gas? Foreign/domestic? Looking at an appx 50 mile radius route and light weight (tater chips). Reliability, longevity, maintenance costs? Any and all options, insight, and direction appreciated.
chips that heavy? honda ridgeline is the way i am going!

Back
Top Bottom