need some help with chip keys 98 honda accord

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score
So the ignition wouldn't let go of the key. I replaced the ignition and transferred the immobilizer to the new unit. After they couldn't program the keys that came with the ignition, I bought 2 new chip keys and had them cut to match the ones that came with the new ignition.

I just had a locksmith out to the house. He couldn't program the new chip keys. He tried to tell me the new ignition was crap. I pulled out the old ignition and hooked it back up electrically. The old ignition harness was connected to start the car. The immobilizer was connected tp the new ignition with the new key.

The car had been working fine. Now even with a charger on it it cranks slow and the locksmith can't program the new chip keys to the car.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do next other than towing it to a dealer?

If it currently has,or has ever had an aftermarket alarm system....they can create headaches if someone installed it without proper wiring. I had a 92 accord that gave me fits until I ripped out the alarm. No problems sense. It always randomly had start or ignition issues until I did that.

I don't know what else to say about it. Sometimes the key cylinder has a special hole you can press something into to release the key if it's stuck in the cylinder

My 10 minute google foo challenge has resulted in:
The bezel ring around the switch receives the transponder info.
Slice open the old key, remove transponder chip, affix in close proximity to bezel.
Remove chips from new keys.
Or, try to hold old key near bezel and attempt.
Might have to remove the new key transponder to work.
Or run new power circuit to the fuel pump relay.
Or read the resistance with the old key along the transponder circuit and wire in appropriate resistors.
Or pay the dealer to fix it.

I don't know why it would be slow to start (does it actually start?) except the typical stuff...poor electrical connections, ?

My 10 minute google foo challenge has resulted in:
The bezel ring around the switch receives the transponder info.
Slice open the old key, remove transponder chip, affix in close proximity to bezel.
Remove chips from new keys.
Or, try to hold old key near bezel and attempt.
Might have to remove the new key transponder to work.
Or run new power circuit to the fuel pump relay.
Or read the resistance with the old key along the transponder circuit and wire in appropriate resistors.
Or pay the dealer to fix it.

I don't know why it would be slow to start (does it actually start?) except the typical stuff...poor electrical connections, ?
I have had 2 locksmiths jack with the car. Before buying the new chip key blanks we cut a non chipped key and simultaneously holding both old the key and the unchipped key to turn the ignition. No joy. I am starting to think the immobilizer ring itself isn't working.

I have run the old ignition in parallel with negative results. I have reseated the connections several times.

I'd check for power to the fuel pump relay.
I think it only disables the power circuit.
Maybe maybe not.
A couple jumpers and supply power to the fuel pump and see if it starts.
If so, just wire in a toggle to cut it on and off.

If you can check for continuity on the ring maybe that or troubleshoot the switch. I saw an article on how check the switch circuits.

Back
Top Bottom