• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU BOLT ACTION BOYS

Just save your money and buy a good quality factory or custom gun that already has the parts installed. You'll be much further ahead.
Yeah but all the fun will be sucked out of it. I am a builder and born mechanic. I loved building cars but now my back won't permit that anymore. Taking so so cars and making them faster, more agile from engine, to suspension, to brakes ect.... So I just immersed myself into guns which was something I already knew pretty good bit about and that satisfies my urge to create and repair.
The learning process is the sole reason I do something like this. If it cost me a few hundred in the end I have learned a valuable lesson. Just buying the damn thing and putting it in a gun sock and then in the safe then I have accomplished notta darn thing. Except accumulate another gun to feed ammo. I understand some of you just don't get it. That's all fine and dandy but I like to do things myself. I hope this stifles the " just buy this and be done with it ".

Yeah but all the fun will be sucked out of it. I am a builder and born mechanic. I loved building cars but now my back won't permit that anymore. Taking so so cars and making them faster, more agile from engine, to suspension, to brakes ect.... So I just immersed myself into guns which was something I already knew pretty good bit about and that satisfies my urge to create and repair.
The learning process is the sole reason I do something like this. If it cost me a few hundred in the end I have learned a valuable lesson. Just buying the damn thing and putting it in a gun sock and then in the safe then I have accomplished notta darn thing. Except accumulate another gun to feed ammo. I understand some of you just don't get it. That's all fine and dandy but I like to do things myself. I hope this stifles the " just buy this and be done with it ".
Then just buy a high-quality action, barrel, stock and fcg. Put the parts together and enjoy. You'll have a much nicer finished product than a pieced-together bottom-rung rifle. What's the point in a major upgrade if you're just replacing half of the junk parts with better ones? Buy good parts right off the bat and save money.

So let's just hypothesize for a second. I am leaning towards the Ruger American at the moment. However, let's just say I gave Savage some serious thought. Which model would be the best to start with? The Axis is totally out of the question! Let's just say I would be willing to start with a 900 to 1000 investment to have a solid action and barrel to start with and make my changes after.

Again the goal is to take a solid shooting rifle, Put a real attractive Boyd's stock on it for esthetics, bed the action and put a great trigger in it. It's not a whole lot of extra money to do what I want to do when it comes right down to it. I mean a Boyd's stock is 250 bucks, a trigger would more than likely be a needed upgrade on any rifle so 200-250 there roughly, and bedding the action which isn't exactly a second mortgage process. All it is just taking a accurate start and spruce it up the way I want it. I am not out to build a gun from scraps that will shoot sub moa at 800 yards. I think that is where I am loosing the majority of post at.

Then just buy a high-quality action, barrel, stock and fcg. Put the parts together and enjoy. You'll have a much nicer finished product than a pieced-together bottom-rung rifle. What's the point in a major upgrade if you're just replacing half of the junk parts with better ones? Buy good parts right off the bat and save money.
I was under the impression a good action was 700 bucks. So what would be your recipe to start with. Just give me a recommendation on a decent action and barrel to start with if I go that route.

I was under the impression a good action was 700 bucks. So what would be your recipe to start with. Just give me a recommendation on a decent action and barrel to start with if I go that route.
A good action will run well over a grand. I like BAT Machine. Otherwise a decent Big Horn action will run $1300ish.

You get what you pay for.

Otherwise, find a sporterized milsurp and cannibalize it.

If you're putting in the work, you might as well end up with something that's awesome.

Unreal! I just looked at Defiance Machine and there starting action was 1350. See that's exactly why I didn't want to head down this path. If I was to build one part by part I wouldn't be happy with less than great parts. That's why I wanted to start out with something pocket friendly and just settle for a halfway decent action and barrel and put the stock, trigger in it and bed the action.

All this started when I saw some beautiful Boyd's stocks and saw the price was more than reasonable and decided to buy halfway accurate gun and then put the guts in a stock I wanted.

Just do that. Get a Ruger American predator, Boyd’s stock, AICS DBM, and timney trigger, sans scope you’ll be under a grand.

The only options for a “cheap” custom build are the macbros and the new aero receiver.

All the custom actions have sky rocketed in price this year. Gone are the days of the $800 starter custom action.

You can go Tikka too, but then you’re climbing in price. There’s also the savage axis that’s been recommended but not a fan. I think they are hideous and the bolt lift and cycling are atrocious.

Back
Top Bottom