• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need to spitball some storage ideas...

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
So I've been having a dilemma and I'm at a point where a decision is needed sooner rather than later. So I travel in my truck a lot with 60% of the time my bed is empty and 40% it is being used in it's entirety. I have a 6.75' bed which I regret now but to make the best of it I need to figure out what to do with my tool box. I am about to take my tool box out tomorrow in order to fit a 4 wheeler into the bed of the truck and while it's out I want to figure out what to do to avoid putting the box back in.

Option one which is my preferred option is to put a roof rack on the top of the truck and putting a locking roof box up top. It will only need to hold basics like straps, tarps, bungees, some basic hand tools and a camp axe. My issue is cost. The bars come in around $450, and roof boxes are readily available on the used market for $100-300 which puts me all in around $600-750 which I just feel like is too much for a "tool box".
win_20170331_10_52_23_pro.jpg

Option two is to purchase 1-2 Pelican long boxes and cable lock them into the bed of the truck so that when I need the extra space I can just lay them across the back seat of the truck and have my full truck bed. My concern here is durability and UV resistance. Cost looks to be around $300 for two of these boxes. Looking at the Pelican 1770 or 1740.
Unknown.jpg

Option three is suck it up, put the tool box back in when I'm done with my bed this week and just keep taking it out when I need the entire bed space.
22730072_10155402510838300_5027031131838422465_n.jpg

Open to other suggestions I just need to make a decision while the box is out this week. Thanks everyone.

Diamond back system or decked drawers. I have the decked drawer system in mine and am considering adding the diamond back cover as well.

Loved the deck system but would be worried about adding an additional foot of height to my ramps when loading a motorcycle on top of the boxes. Also at the $1,300 price point I'm above the cost of my ideal solution of a roof box. I do love the drawers though.

Loved the deck system but would be worried about adding an additional foot of height to my ramps when loading a motorcycle on top of the boxes. Also at the $1,300 price point I'm above the cost of my ideal solution of a roof box. I do love the drawers though.
I saw some great plans somewhere in which you can make your own deck system. If I can find it again I'll post the link but I believe it would be a good option. It would work for the 4 wheeler, I'd be more concerned about the bike with a deck system too.

You could get a front bumper with a reciever hitch and use a carrier up front when needed. I've had the husky boxes with wheels from home depot in the back of a work truck for two years before they needed replaced and have carried them on hitch carriers when needed. They'll lock and stand up to the elements.

You could get a front bumper with a reciever hitch and use a carrier up front when needed. I've had the husky boxes with wheels from home depot in the back of a work truck for two years before they needed replaced and have carried them on hitch carriers when needed. They'll lock and stand up to the elements.

The Rigid box is what I used on my motorcycle and it seemed to hold up well. Even in an off-road crash. This is the current leader. I think it will hold everything I need it to hold and still would be able to roll from the bed of the truck to the cab and I should be able to lift it into my backseat either alone or with an extra set of hands.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1740...8&qid=1548801019&sr=8-7&keywords=pelican+1740

Back
Top Bottom