• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Negative feedback

I've seen traders and here and elsewhere that made poor decisions, welched, or just plain screwed up a deal. Often this is just a lack of experience, the causes are irrelevant. I have also seen these same people develope into fine trusted traders.
When someone realizes the outrage there is two ways for them to go, get mad and stomp off, or learn what is expected and never make that kind of mistake again. Sorry fact is many never learn, but some do and it reflects in their history. A mistake or misunderstanding years ago should be tempered with the way they continued and not solely on the one mistake.
And that was me. When I learned of this site i initially saw it as similar to CL where I could sell a couple rifles. I didn't take the time to learn the system, just listed the rifle. Got an offer, made the deal and then a second offer for more money came in. When I told the second guy that I already had a deal set, he PM'ed me, "no one is going to fault you for taking more money". So I sold it to him and screwed the original bidder. Well, in three months I have hopefully become a better member of the ODT but I realize there are some that have formed an opinion of me because of the negative. I understand that. Trust needs to be earned.

I just logged into GSB for the first time since 2012 and I looked through every thread I ever started, and I couldn't find anything that I had for sale where you responded in the thread... I also looked through every private message and didn't see anything from or to you... I might have flushed my inbox at some point, but at this point I really don't have any idea as to what item you are referring to...

Is there a reason why you won't say what or when it was?

It was GSB, but you know how many times it got "flushed" over the years from crashes.

I honestly don't care about the deal, I'm not out any money. As I said, just trust. It was for a rifle, honestly I couldn't say an exact when, it's been a number of years ago. (10 years I'm guessing?)

I had agreed to purchase the rifle from you, I was in waiting for a reply as to the location/time to meet. Later on that day you replied with you sold it. As I recall you also stated it was because you needed money or something, that was the excuse why you sold it to someone else. It was just lip service in nature.

Honestly I had long since "forgot" about it until I found your commentary here. It's not a matter of a grudge, it's simply how you portray your ethics here given the past. That is my point. In any case, glad you've had a number of good transactions here.

Hmmm... A rifle... I am genuinely curious now...

Yeah, they had a lot of server crashes over the years... I haven't been there since 2012, and I searched back through all threads by me, to the beginning of their records and there was nothing I could find, so it must have been close to 10 years ago...

Sorry about that. It was not, nor is it currently how I do business. I almost vaguely remember a conversation about this... having a tentative deal but then someone else coming in with cash wanting to meet me local that day so I took it...

If you and I had a meeting time and place agreed to then I would really feel bad, but either way, I agree that it wasn't cool.

I can't change the past, but neither will I hide from it... hence why I felt fine discussing this in front of everyone...

All I can say is that I am sorry, and I don't recall it happening again and it has certainly never happened here, although it has happened TO me here, twice...

I have two negatives. One from 2010 and one from 2012, where I cancelled a deal via PM days in advance of the planned meeting. Nobody traveled and nobody was stood up, but it is what it is I suppose.

I've had only good luck with deals on here, a couple times one or the other was late, but around Atlanta I can't fault anyone for that. Plus as long as you text or call me you will be late no big deal. I also did a good bit of business on CL, however recently I have either only been listing stuff here or giving it to goodwill. Its been a while since I've had a good CL experience. Currently I have one item that 4 people have promised to buy and then went silent.

However when my father tried this site he had a feedback issue. Someone was listing a shotgun he was interested in, never committed to buy, never set a date. He was asking questions about it due to the driving distance, after a couple PMs the guy gave him a negative feedback for asking too many questions. I think he got it removed.

On here I go with first contact rule, however if the first person is kicking tires and there is another very interested party I will send a very direct message to the first party and give them a reasonable timeline (usually 12-24 hours) to commit. On CL it is first with cash, I will only hold an item from the time you tell me you left your house to the meeting time.

Back
Top Bottom