• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Negotiations skills (or lack thereof)

I may be in the minority here, but "what's the lowest you'll take" does not offend me. My lowest price can change on the day, depending on what else I find for sale or how close you'll drive to me. If you make it real convenient for me, I'll probably take less. My time is worth something.

Why is it so hard for people to make an honest offer?

I mean, you see a price in my ad. You see my trade value. You see the items I'm interested in. You have reference points all over to make an offer....yet still....

You message me on what the lowest is I'll take. Aak stupid questions like "How much cash you want on top?" You're the one that's interested in my ad, so figure it out and we'll go from there. And whenever there is a Glock offer involved, somehow they become worth $800-1500. Or worse...you hit and run; meaning you make an offer, never to be heard from again after attempts to reach you. WTF.

I am convinced some people believe they lose the negotiation if they throw out the first number.

Hence, you will never get an offer from them. They want YOU to throw out the first number. Why? Because then you will be on the losing end of the negotiation.

I guess I'm old school. I usually don't respond to messages where just a number is thrown at me; no words, nothing. At least be cordial enough to say "Hey, would you consider ___?", or "I would like to offer ____". Then again I've seen the illiteracy that runs rampant around here, so maybe I'm being too harsh.

I normally pm an offer for what I will pay (maybe asking price or maybe not). If it gets turned down and I get a counter offer we go from there. If they tell me to pound sand, no problem since its my money they wanted in the first place. Trades are another story and I always price mine at what I would pay for it and theirs the same way. Again, I don't take it personal if they say no. I also include my first name after the message either way to get things started.

Back
Top Bottom