• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Neighbor Dog Aggressive On My Property

Man I'm just glad your son was behind the glass!!!

You said in the post above she acts shocked when it "happens", plural. Has this happened before?
Her dog has lunged at my dog in the past. Typically I give a boot to the face and the dog runs off. Again, she always acts like its the first time it ever happened. The HOA doesn't do **** (as most don't) so it's time for me to end it.

I can't believe no one has said it yet. Just call 911, the police will gladly kill the dog for just standing on your grass. :)

OK ODT inside jokes aside, call 911 and make an incident report on it. If you honestly think the dog is a threat to your family then you'll need to document the hell out of every incident so if you do have to act you'll have defense material. You'll most likely be charged with something if you do the shooting but that's small thing if it saves your son's life. Get as many agencies involved as you can and be a PITA about it or no one will listen.

Most definitely file a police report AND one with Animal Control, they will then have a talk with her and issue a warning which they will document in a written report.
Though the law gives you a legal right to protect yourself and others, that does not mean that you still won't find yourself in the courthouse having to defend your actions, therefore it is imperative that you have all the official documentation you can get before it ever gets to that point. Pics and videos are in the highest and best evidence category if you can get them safely.

Who knows maybe the dog will be loose when the police arrive and will go after them and it will no longer be a problem for you.

UOTE="tthompson, post: 5171978, member: 33714"]Hey folks. Need your advice on a legal matter. So the up front details. I live in a townhouse community. There are HOA posted leash laws for dogs and pets. When on common grounds you MUST have your dog leashed. I myself abide by them with my Boxer boy as he can be very hyper. This dog is a constant nuisance to other animals and people.

So I have a neighbor who routinely NEVER has her dog (pit/terrier mix) on a leash in a common ground open area behind our house. On the main level to this area it is open to our back doors. Last night before dinner my 2 year old son was standing inside at our back patio doors when out of nowhere this unleashed dog comes flying up to our backdoor snarling and barking at my son. I'm confident if the door wasn't closed this dog would have got my son. The owner was nowhere to be seen as she was on her porch. I of course EDC in my house regularly. My original response was "this dog is on my property at my backdoor aggressively trying to go after my son". My right should be to protect my family in any way necessary.

Question-do I have legal right to use lethal force on this animal if I feel my family or my life is in danger? Thanks in advance folks![/QUOTE]
" My boxer must have eaten that dingo officer "

Curious if me opening the door and pursuing the dog for a kill shot would put me at risk for prosecution?

This is what would get you in trouble. You were safe and went after it.

I think you should inform the HOA board that since they've taken no action you will include them in any legal actions that arise.

Back
Top Bottom