• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New gasoline truck or used diesel?

Duramax's are great. Cummins are great.

Lesson from this post...

Powerstokes are not great.

Edit: The exception is the 7.3 .... The worst thing Powerstroke did was stop building on the 7.3

Last edited:
I would suggest buying a truck that fits your specific needs, If you are going to tow a lot, get a proven diesel. If you want more comfort, lower maintenance costs, reliability, decent fuel mileage and good trade in value when you decent to trade it at a later date, get a Chevy or GMC gas burner.

Good advice. If you dont need big diesel truck the added cost of diesel maintenance and repair may not be worth it. Not only maintenance, but the initial cost of buying a diesel truck over a comparable gas version can be eye watering, and can easily erase any advantage in fuel economy.

just remember this in an all out collapse of the world more gas than diesel places any where and in the smallest towns, cheaper to maintain, better gas mileage per cost of repair/maintenance ratio,what else could I type.

Last edited:
just remember this in an all out collapse of the world more gas than diesel places any where and in the smallest towns, cheaper to maintain, better gas mileage per cost of repair/maintenance ratio,what else could I type.

1)Diesel doesnt sour.

2)Ethanol/Mbte gas goes bad pretty quick and will ruin
a vehicles fuel system.

Duramax's are great. Cummins are great.

Lesson from this post...

Powerstokes are not great.

Edit: The exception is the 7.3 .... The worst thing Powerstroke did was stop building on the 7.3

This is pretty close.. the 300 straight six was an awesome engine too.. Unfortunately emissions regulation changes killed both the 5.0 six and the 7.3 diesel. Oh, and Duramax isn't always a great choice either.. I don't know if they changed but the injectors used to be located in the heads in a way the heads had to be removed to change them, and you'd need to change them about every 150K miles because they sucked.. this was around 2001 I believe that they were like that. I only know because I looked at getting one that was listed for a great price.. then I found that out and shyed away..

But +1 on buying for your needs. I am hoping the Colorado doesn't suck as bad in a few years as my 04 did and I can pick up a cheap (considering) used diesel colorado crew cab in a few years time. My 04 ate an engine computer every 40k miles :(

Back
Top Bottom