• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New gasoline truck or used diesel?

I'd avoid the ecoboost until they e been on the market for a few years

Ford is not known for new technology being reliable

As in the 6.0 comment above

The ford 6.0 diesel engine was NOT tested before it went on sale
90% of them blew up right after the warranty expired

Plus you have to remove the cab to work on the motor

Plus a brand new truck depreciates terribly
If you do lay out the cash for a brand new one
Get one with a proven engine that's been available for years

ask any ford mechanic...they are great motors very little maintenance v8 power in a 6 cylinder..you see more of them in the body shop that on the rack....spun into the ditch spun it into tree, spun into my grandmas' front porch

1)Diesel doesnt sour.

2)Ethanol/Mbte gas goes bad pretty quick and will ruin
a vehicles fuel system.
sometimes gets mixed with high sulfur at hwy stations causing higher egts and computer problems, gells in cold weather more hygroscopic than gas(ie the need for water separator) more expensive to maintain,harder on drive train less places to fill up per capita,uses twice as much resources in carbon foot print, dirty nasty smelling.. and yes diesel stored over a period of time losses its C-tane so it does go bad.

Last edited:
I inherited my grandfathers 92 Chevy 3500 with the 6.5 turbo diesel. It had sat with 3/4 of a tank for 6+ years. Poured a full bottle of treatment (treats 300gal) and changed the filter but that fuel burned pretty good.

If you go diesel go pre emissions.Duramax LBZ 6.6L(06-07),Cummins 5.9L(12v if you can find a nice one),or Ford 7.3L Powerstroke

Ethanol-bad for your 100 dollar push mower,
but good for your expensive vehicle.
right.
don't get me wrong ethanol does suck especially in an older vehicle but both types of fuel are designed not to last or be stored for long periods of time, that being said if tuned right and rubber/viton seals are replaced with teflon/ stainless its still workable and has normal wear..and in a tunable fuel curve ethanol stoiciometrics can give you a bit more efficiency compared to 85 octane unleaded

uses twice as much resources in carbon foot print,

Thats not 100% accurate (http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/clean-diesel-what-you-need-to-know).. they've gotten a lot better over recent years. Though money in technology to improve emissions on diesels is far less than money spent trying to improve gasoline engines. And in Europe diesel engines are more popular because of the increased fuel mileage which counter acts the cost of the fuel (which in the US is taxed a LOT more than gasoline, which is part of why off-road farm equipment diesel is so much cheaper)

If you're using the vehicle to tow with diesel can be more economical and better for the environment than gasoline in a truck, if not, then that may not be the case.

Thats not 100% accurate (http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/clean-diesel-what-you-need-to-know).. they've gotten a lot better over recent years. Though money in technology to improve emissions on diesels is far less than money spent trying to improve gasoline engines. And in Europe diesel engines are more popular because of the increased fuel mileage which counter acts the cost of the fuel (which in the US is taxed a LOT more than gasoline, which is part of why off-road farm equipment diesel is so much cheaper)

If you're using the vehicle to tow with diesel can be more economical and better for the environment than gasoline in a truck, if not, then that may not be the case.
yes thats true but when your oil change causes OPEC to love you long time...i digress

My question all the new High MPG diesel trucks is it worth the extra few bucks at the pump, compaired to a similar priced gasoline truck?
first no but as others have stated its what your doing with it,towing trailers and campers ,if you are just driving to from work its not the in my opinion right choice..if you want to impress your friends with horsepower/torque numbers get the diesel,if you want to impress your friends with the new rifle you bought with the money you saved get gas..

Back
Top Bottom