• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Lee Progressive press coming out in April

Which press?

• Total voters
Gents, they've posted more detailed closeup images, and some engineering drawings. Seeing some stuff I didn't pick up in the earlier images.

The case feeder is thru a hole in the tool head. Far less fiddly than the one on the Pro 1000, if you're feeding cases by hand. Should be very quick. I also expect the case feeder accessory will work smoother, since it probably mounts to the tool head and doesn't move with the shell plate. Also requires less force on the handle.

And the case feed slider has shaped arms to cradle the case, making it unlikely the case will go off course on it's way to the shell plate. Wonder if it's one size fits all, or if they'll include/sell different push arms with different size arms.

The primer setup has some type of actuator lever built into the base. Not sure, but it looks like it might be made to auto actuate the Safety Prime. If that's it, and it works...it's effing brilliant. You'll have a first person, can't miss view of the primer hopper (for stopping and refilling), and you'll be able to hear the "click" the Safety Prime makes when it does it's PEZ-dispenser routine with the primer.

I'm super excited to get my hands on one of these things. If these enhancements work as designed, this might be a ridiculously fast, and dare I say it, reliable to operate, press.

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Still looking at it. Gotta walk back a couple of things I said.

Looks like the case accessory is still mounted to the shell.carriage assembly. So the tool head hole is for single case operation only. Still a very nice improvement, just not as comprehensive as would be ideal. On the other hand, it also suggests an auto/power shell feeder might be in the works.

And the Safety Prime mount looks like it is still on the tool head, so it's not going to be auto-actuated.

THE new press looks a little lite weight, will be listening to comments closely as it does have many different connections, the more connections more weakness areas, have to see if the lite weight can stand up...

We have had our ROCK CHUCKER FOR 40 years, and Dillon also now that's a testament for durability...

Low price is long forgotten, after the bitterness of poor quality is never forgotten... Cheap ain't Cheap...

New videos posted on Lee's YouTube channel. I hope they have something better figured out for priming because they are loading them individually. They did show a case feeder attachment for the traditional tubes Lee uses

New videos posted on Lee's YouTube channel. I hope they have something better figured out for priming because they are loading them individually. They did show a case feeder attachment for the traditional tubes Lee uses

I've got to ask; what do you expect for $150 msrp, a fully automated 500 rnds a minute industrial machine ? ;)

I think it looks like a great alternative to a single station press, just for the fun of it.

I think Lee's approach on this is smart. Integrated/automated priming is the achilles heel of every fully progressive press. Some are better than others, but if a press is going to have a stoppage, that's the likely place.

Even with the manual priming, I suspect this press is going to be capable of 300 to 400 rounds/hour, and probably be fairly comfortable in terms of ergonomics for the end user. If so, it's going to vault to the head of the class for entry level progressives.

I guess for my purposes, priming isn't a problem on a progressive because I deprime/resize and prime separately.

My functions on this press would go as follows:
Drop in sized, primed case.
Flare and powder charge using Lee Auto Drum on top of the flaring die.
Next to the Hornady bullet feeding die
Bullet seating
Crimp and size with the lee factory crimp die.

Case check and done.

I'm assuming the bolt section near the primer arm is intended for the safety prime system but they only show individual feeding in the video

Back
Top Bottom