• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

new loaders problems!!!!

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
ok so im new to loading and I have no clue what im doing wrong. I cast my own 124 grain 9mm and I pan lube them and loaded with 3.5 grains of tight group and they are shooting about two inches high and the last round in the mag gets jammed and wont go all the way into battery but when I hammer the slide back it pulls the bullet out of the case. any suggestions

Please define pan lube?

Sounds like your rounds are either too long, or not properly crimped and loosening under recoil causing the remaining ones to lengthen with each shot.

Where in Cobb are you located? An extra pair of more experienced eyes may be able to help with die setup.

Removing your pistols barrel will give you a useful tool. A loaded round should easily "drop in" and headspace on the case mouth.

Ok, I see what pan lubed means now. I load and shoot hard cast, but don't cast my own.

Seems I remember tumbling being mentioned in another thread. Have you made sure these bullets are properly sized?

Sounds like you need to turn your crimp die down a little more to tighten the crimp.

If you are just shooting targets, try 3.0 TiteGroup.

I think that Chuckdog is on to it, might be improperly sized bullets. Most molds are slightly oversize and you must size them down to .355-.356. If you have any sized 38 SPL cases see if the bullet you cast will sit in it.

chuckdog I am off of Brownsville rd near 92 and your thought on the rounds slipping out of the case due to recoil is a good probability because the last four rounds I loaded I had shot a friend of mine told me to loosen my crimp because it was too much. I pulled the barrel out of my cz and check the fit of a factory round to one of my reloads and my reload sits just a smidge higher than factory which im sure aint good but the overall length of the rounds are the same....... I might be selling some reloading stuff anyone interested lol

Sizing them down would be a last resort, as, you want lead to keep the largest possible diameter. Same goes for crimping. I would think they might need to be seated a little shorter to keep the bullet from getting jammed into the lands when the slide closes. And most all guns are unique. I cast and reload some 45 that works perfect in my gun but when my buddy tries to chamber one, it jams it so far into the lands, we need a wooden dowel to get them out.

And overall length can be the exact same as factory, but if the bullet profile is slightly different, then that correlates into where the shoulder of the bullet actually begins to touch the rifling. Just read your last post.

Sizing them down would be a last resort, as, you want lead to keep the largest possible diameter. Same goes for crimping. I would think they might need to be seated a little shorter to keep the bullet from getting jammed into the lands when the slide closes. And most all guns are unique. I cast and reload some 45 that works perfect in my gun but when my buddy tries to chamber one, it jams it so far into the lands, we need a wooden dowel to get them out.

I was actually thinking they may already too small in diameter.

When mentioned some tumbling in another thread, I should have used key holing instead.

It certainly sounds as if our new loader has more than one issue.

The rounds you load should sit as flush as the factory rounds. Since most autoloader rounds headspace off the case mouth, they can actually become too short and drop in too far.

Try seating the rounds deeper/shorter o.a.l. Try a different lot/type of bullet too.

If someone closer doesn't volunteer, I get up that way on occasion. I don't mind dropping by to help get you going.

Back
Top Bottom