• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

new loaders problems!!!!

pistolpat don't get discouraged. Sounds like a crimping issue but without looking and measuring it's just a guess. See if you can find someone close to you that would help you set up your rig. Once you get everything dialed in and locked down you'll enjoy the benefits of reloading. It takes a little practice and tinkering so just keep at it.

Everyone is telling you about the same thing:

Seat them deeper in the brass case, and tighten up the crimp. Your reloading manual will give a case diameter at the mouth after the crimp is applied. Tighten the crimp until that measurement is achieved. I think it is .376.

Your bullets seem to be engaging the rifling prior to the slide going all the way forward. The slide is then pounding the bullet into the rifling, causing it to stay stuck when you force the slide open and causing the brass case to pull off the bullet as the slide is forced aft.

listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. Seat the bullet deeper (1/4-1/2 turn down on the seating die) in the case and add a 1/4 turn (down)to your crimp die load 10-20 and then try them out. They must slip into your chamber and seat correctly, if they don't then you have homework to do.

If it fails try seating another 10-20 rounds deeper (1/4 turn) and try them out-failures? then try another 1/4 turn deeper.

I run my finger along the finished round after crimping and when the flare is gone then just 1/4 turns on the crimp die are warranted. You want a taper crimp on a semi-auto that holds the bullet firmly-preventing setback (bullet forced deeper in case). Casting your own incurs more variables to account for. Cast bullets need to be lubed and sized. What diameter are you sizing at? What is you over all cartridge length (OAL)? Keep a record of all and keep notes.

You want OAL that allows the case to headspace correctly, fits the magazine and functions well. The minimum and maximum lengths are extremes. If you have a factory round that the bullet is very close to copy that OAL and it gives a good base to start off from.

If the round won't slip into the chamber fully check several things: one no lube is on the shoulder of the case, the bullet is not seated too far out, the case is too far out of specification. 9mm is a bit more of a pain as it has a slight taper to the case. Cases fired in a large chamber then reloaded may be a bit big butt to fit in a smaller chamber and fail to seat in the chamber properly.

An offer to visit and get eyes on your setup is invaluable. You should strongly consider accepting that offer.

Don't get discouraged at a challenge, accept it and move forward. You will with trial and error overcome these hurdles with a bit of patience. :)

Last edited:
RamRoddoc brought up a VERY IMPORTANT part that I had forgot. Make NOTES! Get a notebook and list all the changes you make for each batch you load. Make sure you put in the results as this will be your most useful tool during the trial and error stages. TRUST me you will not remember what you did and how much you did it when you run into a problem. I've been reloading for years and I still look at my notes EVERY TIME I go to load a batch. If you are loading several different loads, say 10 each, make sure you label the box AND the target as you shoot them so it will save alot of confusion at the reloading bench. Been there done that!

Try a different pistol barrel and see how the loads drop in. Are you using only one pistol for all rounds? Another pistol might likeum.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going to seat them down a little, tighten the crimp and shoot them out of two guns Friday around six and let y'all know what happens

for 124 grain 9mm what are the extreme low and high sides for oal?

The maximum OAL I have listed for 9mm is 1.16". As far as the minimum it would depend on the powder mostly. You don't want to compress the charge (unless the manual says it's ok). I measure from the top of powder to case rim to get a SWAG at how deep I can go.

With RN lead cast 125 grain I have been running 1.07" and some of my FMJ 124 grain loads I have ran out to 1.13". Your OAL may vary but often you find one that functions well in all your 9mm pistols if you load for more than one.

ok so I did what what I said what I was going to do and they worked flawlessly but............ they shot about two inches high so now what do I do to bring that down without loading them so hot they recoil like crazy?

Back
Top Bottom