• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New long term project. 72 F100

All the stuff that I've heard about water-based is that works great. Will definitely post pics and just like anything it's all about the prep. Finally headed to the house Will post of my progress soon

Finally got a chance to do some work on the green monster. Started to clean up the rust and weld the bed sides up. Was able to get to Summit the other day and picked up headers and a gas tank to mount under the bed.
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_12_03_ze7e6e5y.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_12_03_ga5yvu6y.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_12_03_e4a5ymuj.jpg

Oh yeah. Got the brake lights kind of working and put on some mirrors that I can actually see out of. Plan for tomorrow is to finish up welding and grinding the bed and shave the drip rail.

Looks like fun! I love old ford trucks! My son and I are working on a 1985 f150 4x4 for him when he turns 16. We are planning on shaving the drip rails also. I have been researching this modification and found that you should cut out small sections of the rail and tack weld the cutout section before removing more of the rail. I read that if it wasn't done this way the cab area would seperate and cause lots of structural problems. I'm not sure though if this is good info or not. If you have any experience or insight in doing this please post up more pics as you move along on your truck.
Thanks and good luck.

Lots of good info! Thanks for the video.
i shaved the drip rails on an 85 silverado. you want to leave about an eighth of
an inch give or take of material. use a cotton wheel (flap disc) to go the rest of
the way. low and slow. watch the metal,when it is getting close(thin) it will blue.
weld in increments bouncing around here and there. dont grind in one spot to
long or you will warp the metal. tap down the high spots and fill in the low spots.

i shaved the drip rails on an 85 silverado. you want to leave about an eighth of
an inch give or take of material. use a cotton wheel (flap disc) to go the rest of
the way. low and slow. watch the metal,when it is getting close(thin) it will blue.
weld in increments bouncing around here and there. dont grind in one spot to
long or you will warp the metal. tap down the high spots and fill in the low spots.

Exactly what i planned. We will see if i can put it to metal. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom