New long term project. 72 F100

Lets see. Welding slag melts a 41 year old windshield. Welding slag is hot and causes small fires on seats shirts towels. Welding slag causes blisters when you weld with a short sleeve shirt on. And when you get anxious with a cut off wheel the roof will start to separate from the door frame. But other than that it wasnt too bad. Lol

Well I already knew the first four you mentioned and you cleared up the last unknown fact that I was unsure of. But it looks pretty good! Hopefully it'll be better for you next time

Looks like fun! I love old ford trucks! My son and I are working on a 1985 f150 4x4 for him when he turns 16. .

Just got this for my soon to be 16 yr old son

'80. 350 4wd . 4 speed

I kinda like fords better but this is what he wanted
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_12_12_yrutyryv.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_12_12_vagynyju.jpg

Nice ride. He will have alot of fun with the truck. As for mine i finally got done welding and grinding for operation drip rail removal. Next priority is to get the brakes sorted out. I can still stop but not as well as I would feel comfortable with.
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_12_13_qysaby3a.jpg

Does it have discs?

If not. Get em
Drums on the front are useless

Replace the flex hoses
They get clogged up from old age
They look fine on the outside
They swell up inside
Usually right where the clamp is

After you take em off get a razor blade and slice em right where the clamp was and look at the inside of the tube

Might want to add a booster if it doesn't have one
Lot of people with the old broncos use a hydro booster from a Chevy astro van because it's smaller and more powerful than the vacuum booster

I was at a someone's mini salvage yard yesterday and they had a 62 Chevy that came stock with a V-8 / 3 speed , overdrive and AC

Sitting in a field with all the other junk

It has drums all the way around. Planned on keeping the drums because i am cheap. Lol. Planned to take it all out replace hoses shoes cylinders etc. i have looked at the cost to switch to discs. Would end up being pretty costly unless i did the junkyard route and got a brake package from a newer model truck.

You need to make the switch
It will cost less than your ins deductible .....

My 74 4wd had drums
I switched to discs from a 76 blazer
Bolt on swap

Drums in the front are NOT safe
Especially for a new inexperienced driver

You check scarebird.com
To see if hey have a swap for your truck ?

If you can find a bolt on swap from a Late model
Do it

Easiest thing is just swap the I beams
I've done it before
You can do it in one day

I think thunderbird calipers fit the 150 brackets and the tbird calipers are stronger

I swapped tundra calipers and rotors on my 4runner
Made a huge improvement

Last edited:
Ill check in to it. I am hardly inexperienced though. Lol. I am older than my truck. My insurance on it is $78 a year. So if i can switch for that it would be awesome. Lol

I spent the $$ to convert my 74 bronco after I almost hit another car because my truck just wouldn't stop

For yours you just get the I beams from one with discs up to 78 or 79 I think. And swap em in
You'll have Remove all the same parts to replace the bushings before long anyway

Soon as you start driving it much. All the rubber suspension bushings will crumble

Back
Top Bottom