• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New optic for my ar

There is a Vortex Viper PST- TQMC for sale in the classifieds for sale for 409. If you could get him down a little bit that is an awesome scope. I have owned one of those and it delivers. Has a awesome reticle as well. It is a true 1 power and goes up to 4x. If you could get in the mid to high 300's that would make a real good scope at a great price.

There is also a Primary Arms 1-8 as well. He wants 460 for it. If I remember correctly when I looked at that scope it was a high dollar bastard. The platinum series is 1,200 bucks. They have a few in that power range from 350 and up.

I might do the 1-8x24 job on my current build. That's and excellent variable range to have. A true red dot on 1x and variable power up to 8. That makes doing a sub MOA gun build doable with out going 3-9x40 or higher. I really like the sounds of that.

Admittedly I haven't paid any attention to weight, I need to look at that more, looking like acog might be the best bet, I really like that eotech vudu scope though

That's only 1,300 hundred bucks. That would be a nice scope however, since I don't plan on going into action any time soon I would have to do a 350 dollar primary arms scope and buy a 1,000 dollar Colt rifle or a 1,300 dollar Daniel Defense and rock the irons on that puppy. All day long, every day of the week and every week of the year.

I think a compact variable power scope in the 1.5 x - 5x or 2x-6x range would be ideal for most AR carbine shooters, for use out to 400 yards.
The front lens (objective lens) should NOT be big. Keep your field of view around the scope good, don't block out a large percentage of the world in front of you with a big black doughnut, which is what you get when you put your eye behind a scope that's got a 40mm or 50mm front lens.

The Burris MTAC looks promising, and it's very good quality. (Price seems to be in the $400 range).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-illuminated-reticle-matte

That's a decent choice but not ideal. A fixed power scope is just to restrictive for me. I like the idea of having a few power options to choose from depending on the situation. I know the Acog has a reticle built for the 5.56 ballistics but still very limiting. For quick shots that scope is just to much to deal with. Most engagements in the middle east are from 100 and out unless you engaged in urban combat. For that kind of warfare the Aim Point is optimum. For the civilian a blend of those type of options is the wise choice. With scopes offering true 1x all the way up to 8x together I just can't justify a fixed power scope. Very limiting. You can't get real precise at 100 with 4x and it takes a second to adjust your eye to a fixed power scope in a close combat situation. I am sure you will like it but you will just be doing range work with it or some short range hunting and 4x is good for hunting. When I pick up a rifle in a home defense situation I want instant target acquisition and for target shooting I want a good higher power to get real precise at 100 and get half way accurate at 200. With those 1-8x30 scopes also have reticles for the 5.56 round so no matter what power you are on you have drop hash marks for it as well. To me that is the ideal scope for a civilian AR. It's not my scope so it's really what ever floats your boat. However, I do believe to many people pick combat optics for their civilian AR15 platforms with the idea if it's good for the military then it must be good for me. I am knocking your choice and I am sure you put a lot of thought into it. I just think their are to many weekend commandos that like the idea of a military equipped AR15's.

Back
Top Bottom