• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New optic for my ar

That's a decent choice but not ideal. A fixed power scope is just to restrictive for me. I like the idea of having a few power options to choose from depending on the situation. I know the Acog has a reticle built for the 5.56 ballistics but still very limiting. For quick shots that scope is just to much to deal with. Most engagements in the middle east are from 100 and out unless you engaged in urban combat. For that kind of warfare the Aim Point is optimum. For the civilian a blend of those type of options is the wise choice. With scopes offering true 1x all the way up to 8x together I just can't justify a fixed power scope. Very limiting. You can't get real precise at 100 with 4x and it takes a second to adjust your eye to a fixed power scope in a close combat situation. I am sure you will like it but you will just be doing range work with it or some short range hunting and 4x is good for hunting. When I pick up a rifle in a home defense situation I want instant target acquisition and for target shooting I want a good higher power to get real precise at 100 and get half way accurate at 200. With those 1-8x30 scopes also have reticles for the 5.56 round so no matter what power you are on you have drop hash marks for it as well. To me that is the ideal scope for a civilian AR. It's not my scope so it's really what ever floats your boat. However, I do believe to many people pick combat optics for their civilian AR15 platforms with the idea if it's good for the military then it must be good for me. I am knocking your choice and I am sure you put a lot of thought into it. I just think their are to many weekend commandos that like the idea of a military equipped AR15's.

Aimpoints are good optics, I've got one on my patrol rifle. And also on my personal rifle, I just wanted something with some magnification, and the weight and durability of the acog vs traditional scopes is what sold me in the end, the only other option I was hung on was the eotech vudu, and when you factor in the high cost, plus paying additional costs for rings vs $850 for a new acog, the choice was a no brainer

I feel ya. I have guns with red dots and some with variable magnification. When you have multiple ARs you can run some with some without. I have a 14.5 inch 6.8spcII That I run a red dot and Light/laser combo as well. It's a Streamlight so I just got the laser for the hell of it. I run very hot loads in that one because it's my go to home defense gun. Then I have a 16 inch 6.8 that needs a scope but it's more geared for 3 gun so I will fit it with a 1-4x24 for some magnification and close up shots. I just built a 18" 5.56 DMR that I will be running a 4-16x42 on with a bi-pod. It's for accuracy a longer ranges. I had a Vortex Viper PST with the cool reticle and let it go with the rifle when I sold like a dumb ass so now I have to replace it. No worries I wanted a little more magnification on it any way. I will probably end up swapping barrels on the 16 inch 6.8 if I don't get the accuracy I wan't. It's a ARP barrel and they are suppose to be great barrels so I will run a few different loads I work up for it. Who knows it might just give me what I want. If I can squeeze 1/2 to 3/4 MOA out of it then I will be satisfied with that one. Right now I have to buy 2 scopes because I have been focused on finishing this DMR build and let the optics fall by the wayside. Know it's time to concentrate on 2 good optics. It's harder to buy optics because you have to come up with 5-600 right off the bat. When doing a build after you buy the barrel you can just by small parts here and there to finish it. Anyway Congrats on your selection and I know it will serve you for damn near a lifetime.

You need an AR with a 1-6 or 1-8 for hunting, 3-gun and longer range engagements.
You need an AR with an ACOG as a versatile no-nonsense mid range weapon.
You need an AR with an EOTech for Close Quarters Combat.
You need an AR with an Aimpoint for your wife so she doesn't have to remember to turn it on.

Well guys I pulled the trigger on the acog got the ta31f, it should be here Saturday so I'll see how it goes
I have several ARs and if I had to go with one sight it would be the TA31F with the Red Chevron, which I have on a BCM 14.5. There are some great Red Dots but the ACOG is hard to beat for an all around sight on the AR15. I like the fact you can take it off and back on without losing Zero.

I have several ARs and if I had to go with one sight it would be the TA31F with the Red Chevron, which I have on a BCM 14.5. There are some great Red Dots but the ACOG is hard to beat for an all around sight on the AR15. I like the fact you can take it off and back on without losing Zero.

That's a feature I didn't know about it and I got that same exact model.

You need an AR with a 1-6 or 1-8 for hunting, 3-gun and longer range engagements.
You need an AR with an ACOG as a versatile no-nonsense mid range weapon.
You need an AR with an EOTech for Close Quarters Combat.
You need an AR with an Aimpoint for your wife so she doesn't have to remember to turn it on.
I like this but you left out one gun and optic. A 4.5-18x44 on a AR10 for when you really need to reach out and touch those 600-800 yard targets.

Finally got it sighted in today, this optic is awesome, no regrets!

Attachments

• 20171117_172549.jpg
    20171117_172549.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 13
i think you made an awesome choice, i've only got to play around with one a couple times but had no problem ringing steel at 300 so too me its as practical as it gets. if im ever shooting further than that and need variable power then the bolt gun is getting brought out

Back
Top Bottom