• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Overland Build

It's amazing how often people fail to check out the underside of the vehicle they are buying. It's common for people to haul rotted vehicles down from the north to sell to folks that never had rust issues like the salty roads up north create.

I found one example when I went to check out a clean looking with a decent price '05 F150 sometime in 2014. Took a peek underneath and found that the frame had spots that could be poked out with a screwdriver, someone had thought black paint would cover it up. Told the salesman & he gave me the response that it was "treated" and is good to go. Last time I ever went to that dealer.
A friend of mine drove an old Mercedes till the wheels almost fell off and when she upgraded she bought a used Land Rover LR3 from up north. I asked her if she had ever even considered looking underneath it. The frame and suspension was absolutely ruined. I think she kept it about 6 months or so.

I had a limited 4wd sequoia for a few years. Fantastic car. Hard to find a good condition 4wd limited in the South east, took me a few months to find mine, plus I wanted the 4 captains chairs instead of the bench middle row. sold it to a guy in athens a few years ago when I got my Touareg (4wd with locking rear and center diffs).

I found the other day the rear retractible cover for the space behind the rear seats (or maybe when the last row is folded down?) if you want it. free. pm me.

Getting there. Ready to get up into the CNF for a night.
326187854_476084611393155_9065772507728687054_n.jpg
325840147_3069118816719128_1584344220009164601_n.jpg

I have to agree with what others have said above me. Go ahead and do the maintenance as soon as possible. Make sure you change the timing belt, tensioner and pulleys every 90k along with an OEM or ASIN water pump. Don't use synthetic in the diffs or t-case. I would suggest Lucas 85W90 or 85W140 in the rear if you tow. If yours has the secondary air bypass, go ahead and bypass that all together. That iron block 4.7 is a 1,000,000 mile motor if you take care of it. Also make sure to use asian red coolant only. Breathers are a big concern if you're crossing water. You can extend the old, oem clogged up breathers for the diffs and t-case. Just install some barbed fittings, fuel line and sintered brass filters. Put the f/diff and t-case under the hood and the rear diff fits nicely next to the gas filler cap. STAY AWAY FROM DOBBINSON and don't use Old man EMU unless you want a compressed spine. Bilsteins are cheap and comfortable. Progressive springs for the rear are the best and if needed use an additional spacer for the rear to add rake. You'll gain 2mpg's with 1.5" of rake with that shoe box.

These are all my opinions of course so there may be some better options. I've been in the off-road world from FS roads to buggies a long time. Let the mistakes of other save you time, effort and $$$.

I have to agree with what others have said above me. Go ahead and do the maintenance as soon as possible. Make sure you change the timing belt, tensioner and pulleys every 90k along with an OEM or ASIN water pump. Don't use synthetic in the diffs or t-case. I would suggest Lucas 85W90 or 85W140 in the rear if you tow. If yours has the secondary air bypass, go ahead and bypass that all together. That iron block 4.7 is a 1,000,000 mile motor if you take care of it. Also make sure to use asian red coolant only. Breathers are a big concern if you're crossing water. You can extend the old, oem clogged up breathers for the diffs and t-case. Just install some barbed fittings, fuel line and sintered brass filters. Put the f/diff and t-case under the hood and the rear diff fits nicely next to the gas filler cap. STAY AWAY FROM DOBBINSON and don't use Old man EMU unless you want a compressed spine. Bilsteins are cheap and comfortable. Progressive springs for the rear are the best and if needed use an additional spacer for the rear to add rake. You'll gain 2mpg's with 1.5" of rake with that shoe box.

These are all my opinions of course so there may be some better options. I've been in the off-road world from FS roads to buggies a long time. Let the mistakes of other save you time, effort and $$$.
Not sure why OME has a bad reputation for comfort. Compared to my F-250 this OME suspension rides like a dream. I keep 40 psi on the street and 20 psi on the trail and both are smooth as can be. I had Bilsteins on my old F-250 and noticed absolutely no improvement over the 400,000 mile old shocks I was taking off. Hated the Bilstein install also.

Back
Top Bottom