• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New to hunting and a little confused, can someone give me some advice?

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
These are probably stupid questions so feel free to insult my ignorance as long as you can give me an answer. I'd like to get out in the woods after a deer at least once before the season ends next Sunday. I know its a really late start and the pickings will be slim but I just want the opportunity to do it anyway. Unfortunately I don't have access to any hunting property this year but I've read that you can buy a 3 day license for $2.99 and hunt on state wildlife management areas for free. How does this work? Do I just buy the license at a bait shop and then hike out into the woods with my rifle? I feel like I am missing something but the Georgia DNR website wasn't much help.

For $3.50 you can get a hunting and fishing combo 3 day license but you also need the big game license ($9) if you intend to hunt deer and per bearpugh's note, make sure it's an open date for whatever WMA you intend to hunt. There may be federal lands open closer to you as well. Don't forget the ORANGE.

WMA s require an extra stamp,also. Might not be included in the 3-day license. Check the regs. Hannahatchee WMA,below Ft. Benning,is a one-day trip from Acworth if you leave real early. Not a bad WMA. Or go longer and camp. Check regs,but I think it`s open `til the 10th. I don`t have mine handy. There are a few more open,also.

WMA s require an extra stamp,also. Might not be included in the 3-day license. Check the regs. Hannahatchee WMA,below Ft. Benning,is a one-day trip from Acworth if you leave real early. Not a bad WMA. Or go longer and camp. Check regs,but I think it`s open `til the 10th. I don`t have mine handy. There are a few more open,also.
3 day license holders are exempt from needing a WMA stamp.

Ok so it looks like the WMAs in Douglas county are open until the 10th. The WMA website is a mess though. Is there a better place that I can find a map of theses areas instead of just a list of the different WMA names?

Also, I read that a hunter education course is not required for a 3 day license.

Ok so it looks like the WMAs in Douglas county are open until the 10th. The WMA website is a mess though. Is there a better place that I can find a map of theses areas instead of just a list of the different WMA names?

Also, I read that a hunter education course is not required for a 3 day license.

Douglas County? you sure you're on the right website? we don't have any WMA here. you might want to check Paulding Forest WMA.

Douglas County? you sure you're on the right website? we don't have any WMA here. you might want to check Paulding Forest WMA.

Well I can't see the WMAs on a map with the counties. One page showed Douglas county as being the only one near me that was open til the 10th and then another page listed different WMAs in that region of the state.

Back
Top Bottom