Next gun purchase advice...

DTW556

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
40   0
Reaction score
Ok, I have decided to purchase a new firearm in the next few weeks, and I've hit a bit of a stalemate. So I figure why not make yet another "best gun for x dollars" and the obligatory "no way man, gun A is a piece of crap! gun B is waaaaaay better"

So here's the deal. I've decided to stick with 9mm as a caliber, and something a little bit on the compact side, but not sub-compact. I don't like not being able to grip a gun with my whole hand, no pinky dangle... It also has to have a light rail. I dig accessories and add-ons, but if I can find something that's perfectly fine out of the box, who needs em? So far I've been looking at Glock 19's gen 3 and gen 4. I've also been a very interested in the CZ P07 duty, or other CZ 75's (SP-01 tactical and phantom). I've also been eyeballing the Caracal full size and compact, gonna try to find one to handle this weekend and could use some help finding one in a store in the metro ATL area. I've had a M&P, and XD (first gen xd, not a XDm). And didn't mind the XD, and liked the M&P, but the lack of mags available for the M&P made it a no-go. Don't really know much about the XDm's, look cool though. Sig's are a little bit on the high side for my budget, $500, that might be able to be squeezed up to $600 for the right deal.

Just wanting to hear some banter and what-not from you guys on your choices with this dilemma, as I know we've all been there before. Gimme some insight, not just one word posts of "Glock" if you please. But I am leaning towards a Glock for ease of finding stuff for it. But not 100% sold just yet... Going to be handling as many as possible this week to start narrowing it down a bit.

Last edited:
A year or two ago I decided to start selling off the guns I don't shoot... and I did. Now for some reason I'm really considering a CZ in 9mm or a FNX in .45. This must be a never ending cycle ;)

Personally I like the Glock flavor plastic pistols. Had a few G19s and they all ended up going away- even the RTF2 with gills. Kept a G17 and a G26 for carry. Both are well used and I really don't need any more pistols... but I'm sure thinking about adding another one.

Last edited:
I didn't think about the FN's... How are the prices on mags for those? And I have a bad habit with over thinking things when it comes to my favorite hobby. I really do like the feel of the cz's I've handled, but mag availability and holster selection in my neck of the woods is slim at best.

Glock 19 gen4 by far. You can pick up a new one for under $520 bucks. With the interchangable grips it will fit any hand. Glock is the most reliable semi auto on the market.

If you haven't looked at the CZ 75 P-01 I would give that a good look. All metal and a great shooter. If I were looking for another 9mm for carry that would be the gun I would get. I had the chance to trade into one a while back but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on another gun. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

Glock 19 gen4 by far. You can pick up a new one for under $520 bucks. With the interchangable grips it will fit any hand. Glock is the most reliable semi auto on the market.

never held one with the beaver tails and backstraps, really curious about em, being that every store I've handled one in didn't have the extras to try out with em.

If you haven't looked at the CZ 75 P-01 I would give that a good look. All metal and a great shooter. If I were looking for another 9mm for carry that would be the gun I would get. I had the chance to trade into one a while back but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on another gun. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

CZ has really piqued my interest lately... and mags seem to be on the cheaper side. And all the people that I've talked to that have one, have at least 3 more... seems almost like a sign of some sort...

never held one with the beaver tails and backstraps, really curious about em, being that every store I've handled one in didn't have the extras to try out with em.
The beavertails are great, especially for someone with large hands. They also come with the regular backstraps.

Back
Top Bottom