noob... 115gr vs 124gr

terryr

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Item Name: noob... 115gr vs 124gr

Caliber: 9mm luger

Item Description: Sorry if this is in wrong forum, my 1st time posting.

I can buy 9mm luger 115gr PTMJ @ .22 / round

I can buy 9mm luger 124gr FMJ @ .25 / round

I've done a bit of research and learnt(sp) the 124gr will penetrate better, while the 115gr has higher velocity.

Is there enough difference between the two that the price difference is warranted? (.03 / 100 is pennies, but .03 /5000 starts adding up).

thanks

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea you posted this in the for sale forum. No worries a mod will move it.

No real difference IMO. FMJ should only be used for punching holes in paper in which case I use 115. For defense purposes go with a 124 or 147gr JHP round. Regardless though at the end of the day either one is gonna hurt pretty bad.

Also the 115 grain is a slower round which in this case slower means more stopping power as a 147 grain round tends to blow right through the target aka the perpatrator. Hope this is not confusing to you but for personal defense ammo go with hornaday critical defense rounds there the best by far. GL

Is there enough difference between the two that the price difference is warranted? (.03 / 100 is pennies, but .03 /5000 starts adding up).

It sounds like these are both full metal jacket (FMJ) rounds. The U.S. military uses FMJ (124 grain today, I think) but it's not really because it has any significant terminal performance advantage but rather politics.

With all the really excellent modern high performance 9mm ammo on the market this is what I carry. Most of it comes in 124-147 grain flavors and is what most of the professionals that use 9mm stoke in their weapons.

For play I would go with the cheaper if both are FMJ but for actual work a modern 124-147 grain performance round will always be found in my chamber. The cost of performance anything is breathtaking and will lighten your wallet with a quickness.

Last edited:
The only advantage that factory produced 115 has is its price and lower recoil. The 124 is a better self defense round. The 124 also seems to me to be more consistantly loaded to a high performance level than the 115's. Some of the 115 is so weak that a Glock 34 will fail to operate properly.

Last edited:
i have always picked up whatever is available/cheaper for target shooting but like 124g Hornady CD or Speer GD for carry. the only 9mm i have with an opinion is my Sig P938...it will not function properly with 115g.

Back
Top Bottom