• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

Like I said several times already, I can probably shoot a 1911 better than any other handgun, along with a revolver in SA. Once I take the time to practice with it and ingrain the functions into my motor skills I believe it could be the carry gun for me. It will take time, though.

Completely off topic, sort of, but I find that torquing/rolling my elbow over on my support hand side adds an isometric pressure on the frame, and with the 9mm Glock it has as little recoil as anything when I do this. I can actually loosen my grip and by simply torquing that elbow it adds so much support to the frame that it barely even moves. Like a death grip, literally, because I'm using more of my body to stabilize the gun instead of only my hands. It makes follow ups extremely fast. I've also noticed it gives my muzzle the slightest little cant when aiming, but it works...At least for me it does. I saw another firearms instructor demonstrate this one time and it changed my grip forever, and for the better.
Not sure what you mean by "torquing/rolling my elbow over". For me, a hard grip where I'm using my wrist flex to actually try to pull the fingers of each hand through the grip is what works for me. It creates a strong stable grip that minimizes recoil and snaps the pistol back onto target immediately. Of course, that gets fatiguing during a long day at the range, but it also builds some hella grip strength. My future son in law found that out a few days ago when he decided to start a friendly "who's grip is stronger" challenge with me during a hand shake. I didn't even realize he was doing it until he pointed it out. Then I went crunch and he figured out that was a bad idea with the old man. LOL! Don't get me wrong. I really like this guy and am glad he has the balls and understanding of masculinity to not only do it, but also understand that there is nothing wrong with messing around like that. Very few men his age in this country would get that.

Not sure what you mean by "torquing/rolling my elbow over". For me, a hard grip where I'm using my wrist flex to actually try to pull the fingers of each hand through the grip is what works for me. It creates a strong stable grip that minimizes recoil and snaps the pistol back onto target immediately. Of course, that gets fatiguing during a long day at the range, but it also builds some hella grip strength. My future son in law found that out a few days ago when he decided to start a friendly "who's grip is stronger" challenge with me during a hand shake. I didn't even realize he was doing it until he pointed it out. Then I went crunch and he figured out that was a bad idea with the old man. LOL! Don't get me wrong. I really like this guy and am glad he has the balls and understanding of masculinity to not only do it, but that there is nothing wrong with messing around like that. Very few men his age in this country would get that.

Jerry Miculek has a video about basics of pistol shooting. His point of view on grip was very enlightening for me. I believe one of the things he says in that video is if you're not a bit sore after shooting x number of rounds then you're doing it wrong. No point trying to paraphrase him further because it's better just to listen to him.

Jerry Miculek has a video about basics of pistol shooting. His point of view on grip was very enlightening for me. I believe one of the things he says in that video is if you're not a bit sore after shooting x number of rounds then you're doing it wrong. No point trying to paraphrase him further because it's better just to listen to him.
If you dont control the gun it controls you. This is all good info

Not sure what you mean by "torquing/rolling my elbow over". For me, a hard grip where I'm using my wrist flex to actually try to pull the fingers of each hand through the grip is what works for me. It creates a strong stable grip that minimizes recoil and snaps the pistol back onto target immediately. Of course, that gets fatiguing during a long day at the range, but it also builds some hella grip strength. My future son in law found that out a few days ago when he decided to start a friendly "who's grip is stronger" challenge with me during a hand shake. I didn't even realize he was doing it until he pointed it out. Then I went crunch and he figured out that was a bad idea with the old man. LOL! Don't get me wrong. I really like this guy and am glad he has the balls and understanding of masculinity to not only do it, but also understand that there is nothing wrong with messing around like that. Very few men his age in this country would get that.

LOL...Guys in my family have always done the grip contests. Good times! Unfortunately for me I have smaller hands and most of my family has big ol' paws.

I could not remember this guy's name to save my life, but I somehow managed to dig up his video and he demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about. He isn't just another blow hard either. He was special forces in the Army. I believe he is from Brunswick, Ga.

If you have the time check out this short video. It absolutely changed my grip for the better.

Yes I have seen this video, I believe, and it also helped. Have you ever noticed Miculek's hands? He looks like he could palm a tractor tire!

Yes I have seen this video, I believe, and it also helped. Have you ever noticed Miculek's hands? He looks like he could palm a tractor tire!

Jerry is a freak. Normal rules don’t apply to him.

It is very frustrating to try and get classified in USPSA Revolver when it’s Jerry that set most, if not all, of the Revolver classifier standards.

It is very frustrating to try and get classified in USPSA Revolver when it’s Jerry that set most, if not all, of the Revolver classifier standards.

Yeah he isn't human. His 12 shots from a revolver in 2.99 seconds was the craziest thing I've ever seen...Until I saw him shoot a balloon at 1k yards with a 9mm revolver. 160+ feet of drop!

Jerry is skynet . You have to be human to have rules . Case in point here is my gold match xtreme . I like the grip on the safety . Feels nice but never in a million years would I carry this . It’s reliable to a point but it is a tight low tolerance pistol that is not suitable for carry use even though it costs a ridiculous price .

EA71B56A-AF22-4F3D-A86E-93A0155F59EF.jpeg

Yeah he isn't human. His 12 shots from a revolver in 2.99 seconds was the craziest thing I've ever seen...Until I saw him shoot a balloon at 1k yards with a 9mm revolver. 160+ feet of drop!

I’ve made some crazy shots, but nothing like that. First shot hit at 200 yards on an IPSC steel with a Beretta 92, while holding the gun upside down and pulling the trigger with my little finger, in single-action mode.

I don't carry an expensive gun off duty. I have tried everything from a S&W 627 to a H&K 45c. I carry a 9mm Smith and Wesson Shield in a Crossbreed holster. I just have not found anything that I can conceal as well with the same amount of ammo. It is arguably one of the least expensive carry guns that is dependable enough for everyday carry. I shoot it well enough and it has never failed me. I think it boils down to carry what you are comfortable with. I just do not believe that an expensive gun is going to give you enough of an edge in a self defense situation to matter much. Maybe I am the no frills kinda guy being I am enjoying a nice cold PBR as I am typing this.

Back
Top Bottom