• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nov 4th Hunt

Thank you, I thought cull is when you take smaller bucks out? No?
I'm from S. Korea, last person in my family tree hunted about 200+ years ago. I made up lots of stuff as I hunted last 8 years.
That backyard has two really big boys cruising through randomly. I'd rather those guys reproduced back there.

"Tree hunting" I like that. I'm gonna use it. :thumb:

Regarding culling there really is no such thing. Most people around here use it to describe a bad rack on a buck, but a bad rack can be caused just as much by an injury as genetics. Plus a doe is at least 50% of the genetics so unless someone figures out how to cull a doe with "bad rack" genetics, it just doesn't work.

If you want to have big bucks, then you need to let the smaller bucks walk and let them grow up. That looks like a 2.5 year old you shot, and if so, he might've ended up with a huge rack in a few more years. If you just like to eat deer, then choot em.

Either way though congrats on a good deer.

you're to far away
Pic makes it look farther, I'm actually about 75 yds.
20160913_091017.jpg
off the plot in a shooting house.......

roughing it I see.
Yes sir, it's the only way to go! My hunting lease is located right behind my house too, can be in either of my two shooting houses in about 5 mins. I can get to both spots from my Mother in Law's yard on my Ranger so I don't even have to hit a paved road to get there. It's a tough situation but I tolerate it........

Regarding culling there really is no such thing. Most people around here use it to describe a bad rack on a buck, but a bad rack can be caused just as much by an injury as genetics. Plus a doe is at least 50% of the genetics so unless someone figures out how to cull a doe with "bad rack" genetics, it just doesn't work.

If you want to have big bucks, then you need to let the smaller bucks walk and let them grow up. That looks like a 2.5 year old you shot, and if so, he might've ended up with a huge rack in a few more years. If you just like to eat deer, then choot em.

haha, thank you. My family and I prefer venison over beef, specially jerky. Two more and we'll be set for next year.

The myth of the cull deer exists. It exists on high fence farms or with "ranch" owners that have 3000 acres. Does it work? Nope. You cannot make deer like elk. They will not have a harem. Deer will lay down together and while they do it, mr fugly rack will lay down with another. I watch the shows on tv too, but I have been around long enough to know they are bull****.

Back
Top Bottom