Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I watch triathlons on tv, so yeah.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I really need to work on this.

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I order my tacos in threes.

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters
I'm 58 and weighed 235lbs this morning. I need to get back into a fitness routine. Dust off my bike and back to stretching and weight training. My diet needs improvement to. My energy level is low. I'm in. Doing this as a group will be motivating. BTW what is plank?

Start weighing every AM and PM, and writing on a calendar, that keeps it fresh on your mind.

I have maintained at 240-245 for the last 5 years with a 2000 calorie a day limit.

Mornings I roll out of bed, 20 pushupsand 20 crunches to each side. Rest of the 5 minutes is stretching.
Really would like to lean up the midsection atad, maybe an inch or so off.
Looks like I need some cardio.

Can't outwork a bad diet!

This sounds like a good idea. Gotta have a goal to actually achieve a goal! Having other folks in on it with you, even if only online, will hopefully help some people. I've been working out and trying to stay in at least above average shape for 30+ years now but I have to admit that the last 2 or 3 have slowed down more than I would care to. Still do moderate to heavy weight training 2-3 days a week and have been trying to do at least a 1.5-2 mile brisk walk while wearing a 20 lb plate carrier/plates 1-2 days a week. Hopefully that will get a little easier as the weather cools off. lol Got a heavy bag in the barn with the weights that I just need to get hung up. Pounding away on a heavy bag is suprisingly good cardio! Wouldn't mind dropping 10-15 pounds. Food is gonna be the hard part. I don't eat "bad" but can't say I eat real good either. Used to do bodybuilding competitions years ago and by that standard my diet horrible. lol Btw I applaud you highly for taking this on at 63 when too many people think you are just "supposed to" be slowing down, taking it easy and playing golf or relaxing in the easy chair. Shoot too many people start eyeing that after 40!

Guys,

I'm 5-9 bout 148-152 and I eat healthily and work out consistently. I'm here to give you guys some tips as far as diet goes so that you can eat tasty foods, but still get the results you want. This is what works for me.

Brief disclosure, it will suck coming down in weight because it's more draining for your body break down and use its own fat reserves as energy rather than you eating something, it's just how the body's engine works. So expect to be tired, a little overwhelmed at times and experiencing a general lack of sustainable energy (If you work, 2 hours into work you may get tired, whereas before the diet you could last 3-4 hours).

However, once you've reached your goal weight the lack of energy will even out and everything will be back to normal in about 2-3 weeks of maintaining your goal weight. So don't quit on your diet because it's hard, because it will be just the same as now once you've made it to your goal, except you'll be in that much better shape, have increased energy and stamina, and be that much healthier.

This is a weight cutting diet, so it will give you enough energy to do what you need to do, but it will still suck none the less, just remember that once you've reached your weight, you'll simply increase portion sizes of these foods to keep the weight (and you won't get hungry/weak, don't worry).

Breakfast
2 Whole eggs (use a small amount of healthy oil like coconut oil to cook them in)
30grams of uncooked Old fashioned oatmeal with 30grams of frozen fruit you can get a Walmart (blueberries are my fav) add water and cook it.
1/2 a tomato with seasoning to taste

Lunch
Lean meat about 5-7oz cooked (hamburger patty with grease squeezed out of it and melted cheese if my favorite, get the cheese that you cut off a block. Fish and chicken are also acceptable)
The easiest thing to eat with the meat is a medium size salad with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers olives whatever vegetables you like, and no ranch dressing, find a vinaigrette you like, or just use oil and vinegar with salt and pepper. Salsa/hot sauce is acceptable.

Dinner
The same idea as lunch, just be sure to get your dinner in you about 3-4 hours before you plan to go to sleep

Snack
Grab a bag of Roasted almonds (salted) and have 1 small handful (maybe 15 almonds) as a snack when you desperately want something to eat but you've still got a few hours until your next meal. I don't advise eating fruit as snacks because the fruit is based on sugars where the nuts are based on fats, which will keep you full longer. The sugars will fill you temporarily, but make you want more in a very short amount of time. You can eat a lot of fruit once you reach your goal weight (I do).

Beverages
A glass of tea or a soda will contain tremendous amounts of sugar which will put you way over your caloric goals.
Learn to drink water, just water. Get some purified water by the case and enjoy it. No diet sodas, absolutely not.
Coffee, if you like it, keep drinking it. Just don't add sugar, honey, agave, etc. All you get to add is your favorite flavor of liquid coffee creamer (any kind you like, don't worry about the sugar in it, this is the only time you'll get any, if you only have 2-3 8oz cups of coffee each day then it won't matter. The coffee will still taste good and not bitter).

I'd recommend these portions for guys at 185lbs or less that want to come down to 150-160. If you're larger than 185 I'd suggest you take into consideration what you normally eat, compare it to these numbers, and make the adjustments needed, but you should get hungry about 2 hours before you eat every meal, this is when your body will run out of food to use as energy and start using body fat, it's important that you get this feeling (means it's working).

Guys, a digital food scale is $10-15 and will help to measure the oatmeal (carbs) so it's important that you don't overdo it there. You can also measure out bulk meat and freeze it individually.

Also, a digital scale to weigh yourself on is about $20-30. You'll want to weigh yourself every morning after you use the bathroom (weighing with clothes on changes the weight so do something consistent like just boxers)

Take progress pics if you like, and take note of your weight now and moving forward. Just weigh yourself every morning and you'll see, the pounds start to drop, and if you fudge on something, you'll see that on the scale as well.

In case you wonder what I eat now. I eat eggs with cheese, avocados, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, peaches, apples w/peanut butter, chicken, hamburger steak with cheese, greek yogurt, occasional rice dish, random occasional piece of cake or brownie, bananas, occasional oatmeal with cinnamon raisins and peanut butter, coffee with creamer only, water to drink, occasional fried chicken, occasional meal at restaurant with "heavy sides" like biscuits, desert, etc.

The staple of my diet is healthy food, so I can eat whatever I want occasionally.

Feel free to ask me questions. I can help you guys with workout routines if you need them as well.

Good Luck!

Guys,

I'm 5-9 bout 148-152 and I eat healthily and work out consistently. I'm here to give you guys some tips as far as diet goes so that you can eat tasty foods, but still get the results you want. This is what works for me. 5'8" 145-155

Brief disclosure, it will suck coming down in weight because it's more draining for your body break down and use its own fat reserves as energy rather than you eating something, it's just how the body's engine works. So expect to be tired, a little overwhelmed at times and experiencing a general lack of sustainable energy (If you work, 2 hours into work you may get tired, whereas before the diet you could last 3-4 hours).

However, once you've reached your goal weight the lack of energy will even out and everything will be back to normal in about 2-3 weeks of maintaining your goal weight. So don't quit on your diet because it's hard, because it will be just the same as now once you've made it to your goal, except you'll be in that much better shape, have increased energy and stamina, and be that much healthier.

This is a weight cutting diet, so it will give you enough energy to do what you need to do, but it will still suck none the less, just remember that once you've reached your weight, you'll simply increase portion sizes of these foods to keep the weight (and you won't get hungry/weak, don't worry).

Breakfast
2 Whole eggs (use a small amount of healthy oil like coconut oil to cook them in)
30grams of uncooked Old fashioned oatmeal with 30grams of frozen fruit you can get a Walmart (blueberries are my fav) add water and cook it.
1/2 a tomato with seasoning to taste I skip this, about a half of a pot of coffee.

Lunch
Lean meat about 5-7oz cooked (hamburger patty with grease squeezed out of it and melted cheese if my favorite, get the cheese that you cut off a block. Fish and chicken are also acceptable)
The easiest thing to eat with the meat is a medium size salad with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers olives whatever vegetables you like, and no ranch dressing, find a vinaigrette you like, or just use oil and vinegar with salt and pepper. Salsa/hot sauce is acceptable. I skip this also, a half liter of water, if I'm still hungry, I'll have another bottle of water.

Dinner
The same idea as lunch, just be sure to get your dinner in you about 3-4 hours before you plan to go to sleep I eat anywhere from 10:pm-11:59 pm, all I want of whatever I want.

Snack
Grab a bag of Roasted almonds (salted) and have 1 small handful (maybe 15 almonds) as a snack when you desperately want something to eat but you've still got a few hours until your next meal. I don't advise eating fruit as snacks because the fruit is based on sugars where the nuts are based on fats, which will keep you full longer. The sugars will fill you temporarily, but make you want more in a very short amount of time. You can eat a lot of fruit once you reach your goal weight (I do).
Snacks are for kids, no snacks for me.
Beverages
A glass of tea or a soda will contain tremendous amounts of sugar which will put you way over your caloric goals.
Learn to drink water, just water. Get some purified water by the case and enjoy it. No diet sodas, absolutely not.
Coffee, if you like it, keep drinking it. Just don't add sugar, honey, agave, etc. All you get to add is your favorite flavor of liquid coffee creamer (any kind you like, don't worry about the sugar in it, this is the only time you'll get any, if you only have 2-3 8oz cups of coffee each day then it won't matter. The coffee will still taste good and not bitter). Water, water, water, water, I drink 5-10 liters of water a day.

I'd recommend these portions for guys at 185lbs or less that want to come down to 150-160. If you're larger than 185 I'd suggest you take into consideration what you normally eat, compare it to these numbers, and make the adjustments needed, but you should get hungry about 2 hours before you eat every meal, this is when your body will run out of food to use as energy and start using body fat, it's important that you get this feeling (means it's working).

Guys, a digital food scale is $10-15 and will help to measure the oatmeal (carbs) so it's important that you don't overdo it there. You can also measure out bulk meat and freeze it individually. My loaded dinner platter will weigh over 2 pounds.

Also, a digital scale to weigh yourself on is about $20-30. You'll want to weigh yourself every morning after you use the bathroom (weighing with clothes on changes the weight so do something consistent like just boxers)

Take progress pics if you like, and take note of your weight now and moving forward. Just weigh yourself every morning and you'll see, the pounds start to drop, and if you fudge on something, you'll see that on the scale as well.

In case you wonder what I eat now. I eat eggs with cheese, avocados, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, peaches, apples w/peanut butter, chicken, hamburger steak with cheese, greek yogurt, occasional rice dish, random occasional piece of cake or brownie, bananas, occasional oatmeal with cinnamon raisins and peanut butter, coffee with creamer only, water to drink, occasional fried chicken, occasional meal at restaurant with "heavy sides" like biscuits, desert, etc. What I want, when I want, I just don't crave crap foods. Occasional on the the fried foods, about once a week,

The staple of my diet is healthy food, so I can eat whatever I want occasionally. This. Sometimes in the summer I'll have to make a pan of brownies so I don't lose too much weight. lol

Feel free to ask me questions. I can help you guys with workout routines if you need them as well.
Every AM, I hang on my inversion table and do 50 setups while hanging upside down. Do a lot of walking during the day and sweat like hell.
Core strength will help keep you from having the "beer gut/pot belly".

Good Luck!

Great post!

Back
Top Bottom