• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions on Atlanta?

What is your opinion on the city of Atlanta and the in-town suburbs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ummmmm... You know they best advice you could probably give a young person who wants to maximize their lifetime income is to move to a big city? The economic data is quite clear that when you control for race/education level/ income level those people who move to big cities do better (financially) than the ones that stayed behind. (The research doesn't say who is happier, just who makes more money)

There is likely some selection bias in that those who chose to move are more go-getter than the ones who decided to stay, but their is no doubt there are network effects in which people's income growth is faster in big cities than in other areas. It's not partisan, it's just the facts.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/pub...nopses/2017/12/20/city-growth-and-real-income
This is true but while income may be higher and potential for growth larger; it could be argued that much of the benefit is offset by high prices and often lack of individual estate building (many city dwellers do not have equity tied to assets such as a home nor do many younger folks invest )

Also, the above only holds true to folks embroiled with a career and career path

This is true but while income may be higher and potential for growth larger; it could be argued that much of the benefit is offset by high prices and often lack of individual estate building (many city dwellers do not have equity tied to assets such as a home nor do many younger folks invest )

The data is real income offset by higher cost of living.
Also, it is dubious that investing in a house is actually a better investment than most other assets. I know what the NAR is trying to convince everyone of, but that is a lot of eggs in one illiquid cyclical basket.
https://www.thesimpledollar.com/sorry-but-your-home-isnt-a-good-investment/

Also, the above only holds true to folks embroiled with a career and career path

True. I am OK with my kids having a career and a career path. YMMV.

Atlanta traffic is absolutely terrible, and it’s only gonna get worse.

yup, that's whats making me think about moving. it sucks that you can't go any where unless its between 10am and 3pm or after 7 pm my commute up scenic highway from Snellville to sugarloaf is starting to suck in the afternoons. it reminds me of PT traffic trying to get into the airfield at Bragg

yup, that's whats making me think about moving. it sucks that you can't go any where unless its between 10am and 3pm or after 7 pm my commute up scenic highway from Snellville to sugarloaf is starting to suck in the afternoons. it reminds me of PT traffic trying to get into the airfield at Bragg

Maybe autonomous cars will change the situation?

Impossible! How can you have survived in Atlanta this long? Havent you seen all the guys here who switch their carry piece to a glock with a 30rd extendo and throw the AR in the trunk for good measure, just to drive through the connector?? Lies!
Hey now, I ride like that everywhere I go.

Hey now, I ride like that everywhere I go.
Me too.....and I rarely travel south Bartow County
anim_rocket.gif

Back
Top Bottom