• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

P320 Suppressed - Someone please help me, cause I give up!!!!

I think the Alaskan should be the lightest and therefore add the least amount of weight to your barrel. Surprised the full power loadings aren't cycling reliably.

If you have slow motion video capability on your phone, you may want to capture this malfunction and post it here and elsewhere for input. Does the P320 slide and barrel weigh significantly less than other 9mm handguns you are able to suppress reliably?
Me too...I was going to try running the Obsidian 45 in the short config to see if it would make any difference, but I want them to be as quiet as possible, so that would pretty much defeat the purpose.

I've thought about doing the slo-mo video to help diagnose the issue...and on my next range trip I will take my GoPro to get some good slo-mo video.

Hmmm...the slide and barrel weight is something that I haven't considered, so I will have to put them on the scale to see about that. But I guess if that's the issue, it's not something that I could do anything about. I watched a video on YouTube about having to run lighter springs to even run a compensator on the 320.

Thanks!

Me too...I was going to try running the Obsidian 45 in the short config to see if it would make any difference, but I want them to be as quiet as possible, so that would pretty much defeat the purpose.

I've thought about doing the slo-mo video to help diagnose the issue...and on my next range trip I will take my GoPro to get some good slo-mo video.

Hmmm...the slide and barrel weight is something that I haven't considered, so I will have to put them on the scale to see about that. But I guess if that's the issue, it's not something that I could do anything about. I watched a video on YouTube about having to run lighter springs to even run a compensator on the 320.

Thanks!
I think sometimes an issue of failure to go into battery might be related to insufficient mass of the slide when OTHER variables are altered, i.e., pressure on the barrel in the form of added weight.

This might sound stupid; but have you tried greasing/oiling your barrel up by the front of the slide. There may be just enough drag that it isn't sliding cleanly with the new barrels and not going completely back into battery. Another drag point might be how the mags are moving in the barrel cuts. Look as see if the mags have drag marks on the tops of the lips. Just guessing here; but something is slowing down the slide.
Yeah, I always clean and lube the piston, and put oil in the slide rails and barrel contact points before each range trip.

I will check the mags for any signs of drag marks. But yeah, the lighter springs just don't seem to have enough power to strip a round out of the mag, get it into the chamber, and finish closing to full battery. Thanks!

One other thing that it might be is the mags. I know that I have a Browning Buckmark that when I shoot suppressed it will do something very similar. I found out that one mag has a weaker spring and not getting the ammo up fast enough to strip cleanly every time. The slide will be almost closed and a thumb bump has it working. When I change to a different mag, issue almost completely goes away. Older mags and springs cause malfunctions in this gun. Could be something as simple for you as getting extra power mag spring?

my guess is that there's too much weight hanging off the front of the gun + too much drag on the slide/barrel fitment. Together that equals a set up that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, and gives issue like you're talking about.

I had this happen when I hung my Revolution 45 off a 365xl. In full configuration and with the short grip there was just not enough "umph" to get it to run reliably. With the longer grip on it was better, but still sucked with subsonic ammo. In short configuration it runs just fine, but you're right it's not going to be the most quiet option.

If you want to get weird with it, just turn it into a HUSH PUPPY. Figure out a way to lock the slide closed during the shot (either with your thumb behind it or maybe the slide stop/safety can be modified) and then you have the quietest 9mm pistol possible with zero action noise. It's bolt action at that point, but still awesome.

The issue for mine seems to be the extra slide speed running suppressed. Gun normally doesn't have any issues running unsuppressed with the slide moving slower. Sounds like what may be happening with your guns.

I think sometimes an issue of failure to go into battery might be related to insufficient mass of the slide when OTHER variables are altered, i.e., pressure on the barrel in the form of added weight.
Good point...and something that I had not thought about. But it's funny that both pistols are behaving exactly the same way with the X5 having the big cutouts on top of the slide, but the XFULL doesn't have the cutouts...so the XFULL slide should weigh a bit more than the X5 slide. I will get both of those on the scale to see how much difference there is.

Also, I am running a Delta Point Pro on both of the 320's, so that does add a little bit of mass to the slide as well.

One other thing that it might be is the mags. I know that I have a Browning Buckmark that when I shoot suppressed it will do something very similar. I found out that one mag has a weaker spring and not getting the ammo up fast enough to strip cleanly every time. The slide will be almost closed and a thumb bump has it working. When I change to a different mag, issue almost completely goes away. Older mags and springs cause malfunctions in this gun. Could be something as simple for you as getting extra power mag spring?
I will have to check that out and give it a try...hell, at this point I'd piss on a spark plug! LoL Thanks!

my guess is that there's too much weight hanging off the front of the gun + too much drag on the slide/barrel fitment. Together that equals a set up that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, and gives issue like you're talking about.

I had this happen when I hung my Revolution 45 off a 365xl. In full configuration and with the short grip there was just not enough "umph" to get it to run reliably. With the longer grip on it was better, but still sucked with subsonic ammo. In short configuration it runs just fine, but you're right it's not going to be the most quiet option.

If you want to get weird with it, just turn it into a HUSH PUPPY. Figure out a way to lock the slide closed during the shot (either with your thumb behind it or maybe the slide stop/safety can be modified) and then you have the quietest 9mm pistol possible with zero action noise. It's bolt action at that point, but still awesome.
I think you're exactly right, and I've seen several people on the internet say that they just kept shooting it and finally it broke in and started working after a few hundred rounds, but then I've seen others saying they have 800-1000 rounds through theirs and it's still doing the same thing. I've got a couple hunred through mine so far, so maybe I just need to keep slinging lead until it finally breaks in, or maybe I'll just be wasting ammo and getting a thumb workout for no reason. LoL...who knows!

But yes, I have also thought about just leaving the 15# spring in it, or maybe going up to the highest weight spring I can find just to keep the slide closed when firing and turn it into a single shot to keep it as quiet as possible...and that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Just curious, with and without the suppressor on, try slow walking the slide to almost where it is locked up, then release it. It should lock up by its self, if not you may have some sort of bind on the aftermarket barrel. Most barrels have a “May need to be fitted” in their disclaimers..

I had that issue with a Glock and lubed it down with Mothers aluminum mag polish and shot 100 rds through it unsuppressed . After that, I stripped it down, cleaned it, lubed it, and the issue went away. I’m not saying this will fix yours, but it did mine.

Back
Top Bottom