• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

People w/experience and knowledge. What are some of the best recent trucks?

2nd Gen Tundra. 5.7 and 6 speed is a very very solid combo. (just not great gas MPG). 2024 Tacoma is about to hit too (unsure of the new engine), but its looking good.

I"m not a fine of turbos or CVT's in trucks.

Chevys I have known issues with the 8 speed (don't think it ever got fixed, the truck I had and people I know also first hadn have had transmission issues)

Ford avoid echo boost IMHO.

In my opinion the best choice is Toyota or Toyota you pick.

Tacoma sounds like the best bet, just prices are still high and toyota is extra high.

Like has been mentioned

* if you don't need heavy duty/will put a lot of miles on it -Toyota

* if you need heavy duty ----Dodge 2500

* if you need a 4 door family car & grocery getter ----Ford

Toyota probably was the best pick up till about 2019 when Ford came out with the new generation Rangers. Although I know plenty of people who have the F series with the 3.5 Twin Turbo Eco boost engines and had no problems with them and sing their praises. I went to work for Ford as a dealership tech in 1988 when I got out of the military and achieved every certification available up till the time I quit in 2001. Back then I would agree to avoid turbos. Now, I think they are the best thing going and I think Ford is leading the way with this technology. The towing capacity on my 2019 Ranger with a turbo charged 4cyl (eco-boost) is 7500lbs. That is nothing less than impressive. Chevy has had a good bit of trouble with their 8 speed but I have heard of no problems with the Ford 10 speed and certainly have had zero problems with mine. My mother has a 2013 Ford Escape with 2.0L Eco-boost engine and it has been back to the dealer for repairs once for a seat belt recall and a stereo speaker replacement. In my opinion, Ford Eco-boost engines are the best thing going for power and fuel mileage. I did a lot of research when I was shopping for a new truck. My choices came down to the Tacoma or the Ranger. The Ranger beat out the Tacoma in pretty much every category including price. So far I have been happy with that decision.

Picked up my first Toyota truck 1 year ago. What convinced me was the 2007 Toyota Camry I bought just before Covid hit, for $2000, with 279,000 miles, in 2019. This thing wouldn't quit no matter how much I beat on it. I originally was a GM tried and true, until a new 1996 1500 threw me for a loop and cost a lot of money @ 105,000 miles. Next Honda was a main staple in my family's driveway. Had plenty and racked up some good miles. Then tried the CRV Turbo 4 cylinder, and had some issues with that.

Got the Tacoma TRD Off-Road, but also had to search high and low to get the color and the 6 foot bed. I use this as a truck so the extra 1 foot on the bed length vs. the other 80% of Tacomas is extremely helpful. I have @37K on this '22 now, and look forward to hitting mile 300,000 one day!
TRD.jpg

had to search high and low to get the color and the 6 foot bed. I use this as a truck so the extra 1 foot on the bed length vs. the other 80% of Tacomas is extremely helpful.
I'd rather have the 6' bed too. It's funny the DCSB Tacomas get dinged for the length of the bed, but no one seems to notice how short the bed is on most F150s out there on the road; somehow, they get a pass.

I'd rather have the 6' bed too. It's funny the DCSB Tacomas get dinged for the length of the bed, but no one seems to notice how short the bed is on most F150s out there on the road; somehow, they get a pass.
It's because most trucks on the road any more are 4 door which usually means sacrificing some bed space. Obviously there are a few exceptions but you couple 4 full doors with a 6' bed it makes for a pretty long truck. I had no need for a 4 door and took me a while to find one with just an extended cab instead of crew cab. It also meant I got a 6' bed instead of 5'.

Back
Top Bottom