• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plumbing with pex. Tips tricks and advice, step on in .

Imagine doing any work on the house. Hanging mirrors photos. hanging light. doing vanity lights.
they finding a pipe in random place, after you still into it.

You instantly have a poop eating grin if you drill into the wrong line
I actually did that at my mother-in-law’s house while installing some shelf brackets. Drilled into a second floor drain line that came down inside a wall. Just got a longer screw, coated with epoxy, proceeded with install. No pressure on a sewer drain line.

That’s good until a defective pipe or fitting lets go, or some workman steps on it. Then it’s the wife asking, “honey, why is it raining in the house?”.
. Mine has been working without a problem since I built my house in 1976. I thought about all those scenarios but being a plumber in my younger years and busting up concrete floors to replace water pipes I elected to fix sheetrock instead of concrete and carpet......Never had a problem so far.

copper (underground) or pex is the only way to go - if you have a lot of fitting and room buy the crimper (expansion tool is usually not worth it and not usable in many applications) if its tight or not many fittings buy press to fit (in your own place buy the brand bands and tool)
Copper pipe is not a great material for underground water lines in my area. Electrolysis deteriorates the Cu leaving green flecks on the pipe, soon to be a hole. I have had to go on many jobs and bust up concrete floors to fix leaks. It got so bad in my town that we started trenching around the houses and re-piping the houses from the outside where possible using PVC and cpvc. Stray DC currents flowing in the ground causes this deterioration of the copper pipe.

hot's on the left. Cold's on the right. Poop don't run uphill.....PVC drain lines are under the floor. Water lines in the attic.

I couldn’t help myself. I was bored at work when I first read the post and was chuckling while giving a hard time

Carry on

Pex, just rent a crimper. You'll preassemble all the hose segments and crimp rings anyway, at your leisure. That way you can make sure everything is in perfect shape for crimping. Then you rent a tool and crimp all your rings. I have a crimper but only because I found one at a church rummage sale for $3

Code violation in most instances.

305.4 Freezing

Diagram
Water, soil and waste pipes shall not be installed outside of a building, in attics or crawl spaces, concealed in outside walls, or in any other place subjected to freezing temperatures unless adequate provision is made to protect such pipes from freezing by insulation or heat or both. Exterior water supply system piping shall be installed not less than 6 inches (152 mm) below the frost line and not less than 12 inches (305 mm) below grade.
Share url icon

"unless adequate provision is made to protect such pipes from freezing by insulation or heat or both."

Back
Top Bottom