• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

*POLL* The Poverty Pony vs. The Colt Cult: Is it REALLY worth the extra cash?

Is a Colt worth the extra money over an Anderson?

• Hell YES you non-operating idiot!

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • Hell NO a lower is a lower!

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • TACOS (this will count as a NO)

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Who cares? I want something with a skull, a Spartan or grapes and dildos on it!

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
I am not an Anderson fan just because of the flowing meine horse. Who in the hell know these days what's what. I mean there are so many manufacturers and forges it hard to tell who is getting what. I would have to say a military issued Colt would have a better lower and that's as far as I am willing to commit to. There are a lot of good units out. Companies not only have to be competitively priced but quality has to be of decent proportion as well.

My nephew recently bought a Bushmaster at right around 400 bucks. I took out my old 2004 and the serial number and model number stamp looked deeper and more consistent from top to bottom. The new Bushmaster lower the stamp was shallow and varied in depth from one side to the other. It looked a bit hurried.

All I will say is if I had two receivers in front me one Anderson and one Colt and I was going to buy it for a build, I believe I would have to take the Colt piece. That would be to pass on the cheesy logo. Either that or look at another manufacturer and buy the one that looked more substantial and had a better finish.
I know you’ve been doing a lot of research into forged uppers the past few days, but what about lowers?

I’ve read online that most manufacturers get their raw forged lowers from one of a small handful of suppliers and then finish them themselves.

That would mean that as far as the actual metal quality goes, Anderson and Colt are pretty much the same right?

The difference would just be the quality of the finish and how tight their tolerances are and how strict their quality control is.

Am I right?

Ouch! You never test fitted it with an upper before you filed the form 1?

Nah, just filed it. I did like 4 in one year and was obsessed. It's fine though. I call it my jack ass gun. It's a 7.5" shorty with a Noveske pig muzzle. I'm thinking about selling the upper and getting and Adam's Arms PDW piston upper. Right now, I get like 30" groups at 5 yards. LOL What you get when you buy a $50 barrel I guess.

I know you’ve been doing a lot of research into forged uppers the past few days, but what about lowers?

I’ve read online that most manufacturers get their raw forged lowers from one of a small handful of suppliers and then finish them themselves.

That would mean that as far as the actual metal quality goes, Anderson and Colt are pretty much the same right?

The difference would just be the quality of the finish and how tight their tolerances are and how strict their quality control is.

Am I right?
Well you would think metal is metal is metal but it can vary from supplier to supplier. Contamination, density, accurate alloy ratio's for mil spec products can vary and be hugely different. It all starts with the bar stock and it's purity as it's rolled into a long bar. Then cut into the desired length to be forged. Some forgers will roll their own stock while others rely on smelters and their machines. Just because it's says 7075 aircraft aluminum doesn't mean they are both equal. Initial cost of bar stock will eventually effect the end product and that's where high volume low cost rifle parts suppliers get their cost down. It starts with the initial bar stock quality. Contamination can cause a premature crack in the end product.

There is a lot more to parts that just being marketed and advertised as OEM quality. Especially with the volume of import trash. I have seen this over many years as a mechanic. My last gig was building late model LS engines and using a tuning suite to change all the computers parameters so the engine would even start and then on the the HP and Torque gains. Even in that arena parts can make or break a 900 HP engine. It doesn't stop their in my back ground. I am proficient in, diesels domestic and import, pneumatics, hydraulics, injection molding machinery and I excelled at electrical systems. In repair and upkeep you see a trend of bad companies pawning off bad parts. Believe me when a large scale production machine goes down it's dollars just pouring out the door. So you have to weed out the crap and build a list of quality parts vendors. A high amount of stress is involved there. I have given all that up to a non stressful hobby building AR's. To me that's like scrambling eggs. These guns are just that easy. There still is culling out the cream from the crap. Every parts supplier out there is bound to let a bad part of two get out the door. Does that mean they are bad? No it's just the law of numbers.

I hear the haters, the skeptics and the antagonist wasting finger epithelials bashing me but it doesn't mean a thing. They know how to do one thing and they are a professional. The moral of the story is even with a high degree of mechanical capabilities there is still the chance the parts you are paying for aren't any better than the lesser cost parts and vise versa. Nothing tells the story like a set of calipers and the actual building process. The old feud of Chevy vs. Ford applies to gun parts as well. It would be unwise not to take that into consideration.

I am sure you could get a set of decent receivers from Anderson but the probability of getting a better set from Mega is a lot higher. It's all in how much of a chance do you want to take in your build. At least it's not like building a 25,000 dollar engine upgrade and it blow on the first dyno pull. Thank god if something doesn't live up to it's duty it can easily be replaced with a better part relatively inexpensively. That to me is the beauty and fun in building these guns is you are not betting the farm taking a chance on a well researched lesser expensive part. However if there is that much stress in making a choice then I Suggest go with the better bet like Mega or other manufacturer with a long line of high line guns and parts. That concludes my thesis on THE PURCHASE OF AR15 RECEIVERS.

BangBang BangBang I swear I REALLY hate you right now.
.... BangBang BangBang really is this guy...

giphy (8).gif

Back
Top Bottom