• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

possible newbie to reloading

sonofapreacherman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
83   0
Reaction score
I was wanting to get into reloading my ammo and would like any information on what kind of stuff would be good as a good starter kit to reloading my own ammo. Any help is appreciated.

I started with a Lee turret 4 position press on my brothers recommendation. It's still my only press 8 years later. I see absolutely no reason to purchase another press. I've loaded in excess of 12k rounds. I've loaded for .270, .223, .30/.30, 45 lc, .40 and 9mm all on the same press. I can make more accurate ammunition than I can afford to buy. Switching between calibers is very quick. To boot it will leave you the money to pick up a good digital scale for precision loading and a tumbler.

Hate to say it my worst fear is for it to blow up in my hands
Are you just reloading to save money? I've been reloading for a few years now, and if that is your intentions, good luck. I haven't saved a dime, but I sure shoot a lot more. I use a single stage Lee press that I have had since the start of my reloading career. I shoot roughly 1000 rounds a month and can easily keep up with demand. If you plan on shooting more I would definitely opt for the turret press. I would avoid a Progressive press since you are just starting. YOTESHOOTER I think mentioned something about reading. Ha read, read again. Once you think you know every step of the process from reading, go ahead and read it one more time. Are you just loading one caliber? If your gonna shoot maybe 100 rounds a month go with the Lee reloading kit. It will do everything you need it too.

Don't do it to save money because you won't. I just started, got an extremely good deal on a bunch of reloading equipment, got an extremely good deal deal on .308 components ( $100 for about 900 bullets, 500 are match grade, and several hundred once fired out of a bolt gun brass), and it will be a while before I'm in the black. It takes a long time per round also. You start to realize that $1.50-2 for a quality round isn't that bad. If I got paid my hourly salary to make ammo, I'd have to change twice that to break even.

That being said, I'm enjoying my new hobby. An auto feed, digital scale is worth the cost. Look for a used RCBS press. RCBS sent me thirty dollars worth of doodads I was missing for free even though I told them I purchased it used.

I started with a Lee turret 4 position press on my brothers recommendation. It's still my only press 8 years later. I see absolutely no reason to purchase another press. I've loaded in excess of 12k rounds. I've loaded for .270, .223, .30/.30, 45 lc, .40 and 9mm all on the same press. I can make more accurate ammunition than I can afford to buy. Switching between calibers is very quick. To boot it will leave you the money to pick up a good digital scale for precision loading and a tumbler.

I'd recommend skipping the old style Lee 4 turret press and going right to it's successor, the Classic Cast turret press. It's a better piece of equipment, pretty much a lifetime tool, well worth the extra bucks they get for it versus the older style press. It's the most versatile press on the market.

sonofapreacherman, you didn't say what cartridges you want to reload, but the easiest way to get your feet wet is a pistol cartridge. 38 special is probably the easiest common cartridge to reload. 9mm, 45acp, 40S&W are also easy, as is 357 magnum. What do you shoot?

If you want to load rifle, there are more steps involved, but nothing you can't get the hang of.

The kit I linked above has a book included that many of us start with. The kit also has nearly everything you need. Just add a set of dies in the cartridge you want to start with. Get the kit, read the book, or read any of the many online getting started reloading articles people have published on the net.

However I'm not sure how long it will be before I start doing it. I've been informed by family members that reloading is chea at which is why I brought the question to the experts on here.

Back
Top Bottom