• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

possible newbie to reloading

The cost of l oading a round is less than the cost of buying the round, if you don't have to buy brass. But, to save money, you have to make back the cost of all the reloading equipment also. I think I can reload .308 for 50¢, with a 30¢ bullet and free brass. I can buy match 168gr for $24 a box at my LGS. That's a savings of $14. I may have $350 in equipment costs to make up, so far it's doable. But I don't buy match ammo, I buy m80 ball in bulk, it might cost 60¢ a round, so I'm only saving $2 a box. Because I'd rather make good ammo for 50¢ than recreate military ball ammo for 35¢. But now instead of shooting a few hundred rounds a year I'm starting to bring my M1a to center fire and military rifles matches every month at the gun club instead of an AR. Instead of 25¢ .223 I'll be shooting .308.

If you don't shoot a lot you'll never make back the startup cost. If you do shoot a lot you will shoot more. Reloading is a rabbit hole. If you measure the amount of shooting the round you mentioned in boxes, not cases, save your money.

I have not been doing it a year yet and I have 2 Dillon 550b's and a Dillon xl650 plus a single stage hornady. I started only to reload s&w500, but now I can reload almost everything I have. The bug has bit me pretty hard and now I can't stop buying components.

First, I don't know why people say you won't save money (shooting more just means your saving more!) EVERY round can be reloaded cheaper than it can be bought loaded. Some rounds just save more than others. I might save $5-7 on a box of 9mm, but I save about $35 on a box of .44 magnum. (Typically, the bigger the round, the more you save.)

Secondly, I don't know why people say not to start on a progressive press. Dies have to be set up the same way no matter what you're using. Progressives just speed the reloading process up about 5 times what a single stage will do. Reloading definitely requires attention and care, but it's not rocket science.

I have a Dillon 550, and would highly recommend one.

I have not been doing it a year yet and I have 2 Dillon 550b's and a Dillon xl650 plus a single stage hornady. I started only to reload s&w500, but now I can reload almost everything I have. The bug has bit me pretty hard and now I can't stop buying components.

Aha! Jaques is the reason for the nationwide powder shortage! :)

I have been using RCBS for 40 years, if ever something wears outs or breaks which usually only the decap pin or primer pocket, they will replace it free. They are great, and you will see reloading kits on here if you just look. I have reloaded everything from 38 to 458 with no problems and you can read any reloading book in a couple of hours and start reloading the same night. You will gain knowledge as you go on and recognize certain problems as you progress. You can also produce excellent ammo for shooting one inch groups for almost every weapon. Good luck and stock up on all the components. I still use powder 40 years old with no problem.

Just to clarify. You do save money by reloading.
We joke, (because there's a lot of truth to it.)
Since it's cheaper to shoot, we shoot more.
So instead of shooting 100 rounds you can afford to shoot 200 for the same final price.

First, I don't know why people say you won't save money (shooting more just means your saving more!) EVERY round can be reloaded cheaper than it can be bought loaded. Some rounds just save more than others. I might save $5-7 on a box of 9mm, but I save about $35 on a box of .44 magnum. (Typically, the bigger the round, the more you save.)

Secondly, I don't know why people say not to start on a progressive press. Dies have to be set up the same way no matter what you're using. Progressives just speed the reloading process up about 5 times what a single stage will do. Reloading definitely requires attention and care, but it's not rocket science.

I have a Dillon 550, and would highly recommend one.

It all depends on aptitude. Some people don't have a mechanical inclination, and reloading doesn't come easy to them. The Dillon 550 is a "sorta progressive" because of the manual advance. I think the 550 is far easier for a beginner to deal with than a 650 (or Hornady Lock-n-Load or Lee Loadmaster).

Get someone to mentor or proctor you for several months.
It really worked for me! And no accidents or misfires!

Just to clarify. You do save money by reloading.
We joke, (because there's a lot of truth to it.)
Since it's cheaper to shoot, we shoot more.
So instead of shooting 100 rounds you can afford to shoot 200 for the same final price.

That's what I meant. The more you shoot the more you save!

It all depends on aptitude. Some people don't have a mechanical inclination, and reloading doesn't come easy to them. The Dillon 550 is a "sorta progressive" because of the manual advance. I think the 550 is far easier for a beginner to deal with than a 650 (or Hornady Lock-n-Load or Lee Loadmaster).

I think anyone can handle it pretty easily, especially with the advent of digital scales and calipers. Other than setting everything up and dialing in some basic measurements, it's mostly a matter of pulling a handle.

The Dillon 550 is really nice due to quick caliber conversions. (Since my previous post, I've reloaded about 300 rounds in 4 different calibers.) It is a progressive, but it's a manual (as opposed to auto) progressive. It's definitely one that's easy to use, but you have to make certain that you turn the plate every pull so you don't get a double powder charge. Even if you did, a lot of calibers would have a powder spill-over if you double charged, so it's very obvious.

Don't just reload to save money, do it as an art to obtain the best accuracy for each caliber of gun you own. It is also a great way to relax and to see just what or how small the bug hole you can get from your reloads.

What we enjoy is the different equipment that is available, most of our equipment is RCBS/DILLON, and DILLON is in the majority of the equipment we use.

The Giraud 3 in 1, trimmer is great, yes it is the expensive one, however is makes our reloading trimming, removing burrs on the outside of the mouth, and18 degree bullet angle inside to help direct the bullet in the most up right position while seating the bullet. We also turn the case 4 times, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock, and at 12 o'clock. While seating the bullet a little turn, until it is completely seated.

You will have to decide your order of reloading and continue to do the same way each and every time until it becomes a routine, that way it helps,it does not keep you from making a mistake however it will greatly help keep them to a minimum.

We prefer the "DILLON" 550B, 650, 1050, presses because they can help and once the dies are set and use Forester Split ring lock rings, which will help keep the tight into the die block.

Being careful and concerned will help you pay close attention to what you are doing, you will need a quiet area in which to work.
Distractions are a great contribution to mistakes. Plan your reloading times and ask not to be disturbed, take no phone/cell/texts, they are DISTRACTIONS,

Remember these individuals here want to see you succeed in your new passion. After doing some loading and see what you made then and they are working well in your gun, will be reward enough. Then you will l@@k forward to doing it more and more..

Everyone here can contribute to your knowledge and guidance these are avid reloading shooters , who enjoy this craft.

So start, just start slow.

Back
Top Bottom