• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

possible newbie to reloading

Lots of great information and some of these guys have decades of experience.

Check the sticky at the top of the forum "metallic cartridge reloading for the new guy".

Yes you will save but as most of us just shoot a lot more, no money is "actually saved" it is just cheaper to shoot.

I totally understand not wanting to grenade a gun, especially one with attachment. Most KABOOMS are from a double charge of powder. This is easier to accomplish with faster burning powders as the amount is less and a double charged case might slip by. Using a slower powder that fills over half the case, when doubled charged will overflow and be obvious.

The other more common cause is hot rodding the ammo above spec.:flame:

Others are using a fast burning powder and too heavy of a bullet. I typically avoid fast burning powders and heavy bullets for that caliber.

Another example is grabbing the wrong powder for the loading. If it's a much faster burning powder it will likely exceed spec. and result in catastrophic failure.

Yet another is compressing the non-compressible load can induce failure.

The firearm plays its part as well. Some guns Ruger revolvers and TC Contenders have load data specific for that gun than is in excess for other guns of the same caliber.

Getting started is easier with one of the Lee kits as keeps startup cost lower. But if you shoot a lot a progressive press may be better just a bit harder to learn though. Good luck, reloading can be as addictive as shooting......

Depends on your money. You will spend a bunch before you make it back. It's recommended to do single staged press when starting out so you can get a feel of how each stage is done before moving to the next. However, I ignored that great advice and went with auto progressive because I knew I would upgrade later anyways. I have my AP set up as single stage, only have one die in at a time. I found that Lee stuff is pretty good for the price. I only have their cheap single stage $20 press. It has held up thousand rounds so far lol. My main press is Hornady and I'm very happy with their AP press. I've seen and read many problems with their AP but I hadn't had any.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom