• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Probable cause when a firearm is in the car

I hate to hi-jack your thread but I'm still a little fuzzy on the gun laws. I have read a lot and am continuing to do so but in this instance, my pistol (like many others) is not registered in my name because I bought it off of here.... So when they take it to "run the #'s" am I gonna have a problem with it not being registered to me? Also I know you don't have to legally have a carry permit to keep a pistol in your vehicle but are they gonna give me flack about that too? I am getting my carry permit soon but don't have it yet and I have myself and little girls to protect so I keep my pistol in the truck when we go places.

I hate to hi-jack your thread but I'm still a little fuzzy on the gun laws. I have read a lot and am continuing to do so but in this instance, my pistol (like many others) is not registered in my name because I bought it off of here.... So when they take it to "run the #'s" am I gonna have a problem with it not being registered to me? Also I know you don't have to legally have a carry permit to keep a pistol in your vehicle but are they gonna give me flack about that too? I am getting my carry permit soon but don't have it yet and I have myself and little girls to protect so I keep my pistol in the truck when we go places.

There is no gun registration in Ga. When they are running the numbers, they are checking to see if it is reported stolen in the federal database. No license needed to carry in the car. No need to inform them of a firearm in the car.

There is no data base for registering firearms in Ga. When they run the numbers they are just checking to see if it is stolen. You shouldn't recieve any flack about a fire arm being in your car without a permit. having said that don't mean you won't

I hate to hi-jack your thread but I'm still a little fuzzy on the gun laws. I have read a lot and am continuing to do so but in this instance, my pistol (like many others) is not registered in my name because I bought it off of here.... So when they take it to "run the #'s" am I gonna have a problem with it not being registered to me?
Not a problem as there is no registering guns in your name in GA, the only issue is if the gun was reported stolen in the past. Try to avoid having them run the numbers in the first place. If they don't ask don't tell.
Also I know you don't have to legally have a carry permit to keep a pistol in your vehicle but are they gonna give me flack about that too?
They shouldn't as it's perfectly legal to have a firearm in your vehicle so long as you are able to legally purchase one.
I am getting my carry permit soon but don't have it yet and I have myself and little girls to protect so I keep my pistol in the truck when we go places.
Unless you are going to carry it, it would be unnecessary to get one.

A forum is probably not the best place to go for legal advice. That being said, there are a lot of smart folks here who can provide guidance and opinions as to your question. Having watched some videos that were posted in earlier in this thread, I'd question whether the police have the right to take your firearm and check it unless they have probable cause or feel threatened. If you were approached, I'd try to record the encounter, don't consent to any searches, and exercise your right against self incrimination. A very good example was given in one of the videos about answering innocent questions. In the example the person being interviewed made an honest mistake which was later construed to the jury as lying to police during questioning. Probably smart to say that you have nothing wrong, that you exercise your 5th amendment rights, and that you would like to have a lawyer present if the police feel they need to interrogate you. Be very polite, ask them if you are being charged and/or detained or if you are free to go. I'd highly recommend you watch those videos.

No. That man needs a warrant to search your car " by law" in return if you piss then off they could have kept you out there all night till a warrant is delivered
Not true! Just so you all know they have exactly 90 minutes to get their hands on a warrant before it is an unlawful detainment. That 90 min stop is known as an investigative detention. I studied this in school and was told all this by an ex GSP. Hope you got his badge number cause the further searching of your vehicle was unnecessary and illegal.

Last edited:
I got pulled over once for a seatbelt and gad just got back from turkey hunting so i had my 28in 870 12ga propped up in the seat beside me (single cab truck). Officer came to my window, seen the gun and asked if it was loaded. I said no (still in full camo mind you) said i just got done hunting and was heading home. He asked me to step out and asked to clear it which i said he could (i know longs guns are by law suppossed to be carried with an open chamber unless its in the trunk or a locked case), pumps it back and checks for shells (always take my shells out when i get to the truck from the woods). Puts it back and gets my info. Didnt try to run the numbers or anything just wanted to clear it. Good thing i had my windows down or i wouldve gotten a tint ticket to! lol.

Back
Top Bottom