• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Production Case Trimmer

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Case trimming, de-burring, and de-chamfering are my "most hated" steps in reloading!

I’m looking for advice on an “affordable” but reliable combination case trimmer / de-chamfer / de-burr
“machine”. I currently use the Lee trimmer with de-burr and de-chamfer as separate steps. I find it too slow for doing large batches of ammo (like .223 & .308). As a minimum, it should be powered, a combination tool, accurate / repeatable and have affordable changeover capability to other calibers.
I am attempting to keep my budget to no more than $250!

I have looked at:

Giraud is probably the very best non-commercial product (at $425 it is Quite EXPENSIVE)
RCBS Powered Pro Trimmer & 3-Way Cutter (~$250 after current rebates, additional calibers @ ~$80)
Dillon 1200B (Noisy, dirty, requires individual dies & Press Slot, and isn’t a combination unit)
Gracey (~$250 if you buy the Jones Carbide Cutter and a Good Electric Motor elsewhere)
Forster Drill Press Mount – (Add the 3-way Cutter and you are at $140 + $80 for each caliber change)

I realize that “like noses, anterior appendages, and opinions … everybody has got one”. So, let’s hear yours (“opinions” only PLEASE!!)
And yes, there are a number of bench-rest shooters out there that are also certain to have an opinion (or two)!
While I have a Hornady LNL AP, case preparation is done separately. All I use it for is to powder and bullet seat for rifle, and sometimes (with pistol) I will also do priming on it as well.

Ideas as to where to get the "Best Buys" would also be appreciated!

References:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...11&catid=19938

http://www.giraudtool.com/index.html

http://www.matchprep.com/

http://bjonessights.com/CARBIDE.html

If you look at Midway's customer reviews of the RCBS power case trimmer, the one that says it was the best money my ex-wife ever spent is from me.

I've got CTS really bad. My fingers just won't hold up to long runs of rifle brass prep anymore.
The power case trimmer is great. I use the Trim-Mate to do the chamfering and primer pocket cleaning.

I just haven't gotten around to trying the 3 way chamfer and debur cutter for the case trimmer, but a .223 and .308 one are in my wish list.

If you believe in quality case prep, if you do large batches, or if like me and have carpal tunnel or some other malady, it's a bargain in my feeble minded opinion. There's nothing like having the right tool for the job. CD

If you look at Midway's customer reviews of the RCBS power case trimmer, the one that says it was the best money my ex-wife ever spent is from me.

I've got CTS really bad. My fingers just won't hold up to long runs of rifle brass prep anymore.
The power case trimmer is great. I use the Trim-Mate to do the chamfering and primer pocket cleaning.

I just haven't gotten around to trying the 3 way chamfer and debur cutter for the case trimmer, but a .223 and .308 one are in my wish list.

If you believe in quality case prep, if you do large batches, or if like me and have carpal tunnel or some other malady, it's a bargain in my feeble minded opinion. There's nothing like having the right tool for the job. CD

Thanks for the feedback, RCBS is the direction that I am leaning (mainly because of the rebate)

I would really like to afford the Giraud, but it's just too far out of my budget.
I will probably get the RCBS although the GRACEY is tempting in its simplicty at the same price.

at least for 223/556 I found that paying someone online $30/k to swage/resize/trim to length and polish was the easiest option. I guess after about 10k rounds it's easier to just buy a machine to do it yourself (the dillon seems to be the way to go for lots of rounds) but for now for a few thousand, I ship mine off to some of the guys listed on ar15.com

I would assume they would do 308 as well, but haven't bothered to check.

at least for 223/556 I found that paying someone online $30/k to swage/resize/trim to length and polish was the easiest option. I guess after about 10k rounds it's easier to just buy a machine to do it yourself (the dillon seems to be the way to go for lots of rounds) but for now for a few thousand, I ship mine off to some of the guys listed on ar15.com

I would assume they would do 308 as well, but haven't bothered to check.

Do you mind sharing your source ...? A proven, affordable, and reliable source is something that others (including myself) would appreciate!
I can speak from personal experience: there area a few out there that promise "fully processed", some of whom don't actually give you "fully processed"
How do I know? I "Gauge" every round just prior to priming-powdering-bullet seating. This, even for rounds that I process myself.

I own the RCBS Power Trim Pro, with the chamfer/deburr heads for .223 & .308. Very effective, but too slow for large quantities. I also own the Lyman trimmer with power adapter for a drill or power screwdriver (I no longer use it), and just this past Friday, got my new Gracey Trimmer. I got the motor from Grainger and the Jones cutter. The instructions are terrible. I had to call Jones, and he answered the call himself, and was very helpful. I added a switch to mine, and I am glad I did. It took me about an hour to set it up, and I am not 100% sure it is right. If you get the trimmer separate from the motor, you will have to sand the dished out area in the wood base, as the motor from Grainger will not line up perfectly with the cutter shaft. You will also have to drill 2 more hole in the stand, as the Grainger motor has 4 studs instead of 2. You will need 4 8-32 nuts (I used nyla-nuts so they don't vibrate loose). If you have any more questions, just let me know.

I own the RCBS Power Trim Pro, with the chamfer/deburr heads for .223 & .308. Very effective, but too slow for large quantities. I also own the Lyman trimmer with power adapter for a drill or power screwdriver (I no longer use it), and just this past Friday, got my new Gracey Trimmer. I got the motor from Grainger and the Jones cutter. The instructions are terrible. I had to call Jones, and he answered the call himself, and was very helpful. I added a switch to mine, and I am glad I did. It took me about an hour to set it up, and I am not 100% sure it is right. If you get the trimmer separate from the motor, you will have to sand the dished out area in the wood base, as the motor from Grainger will not line up perfectly with the cutter shaft. You will also have to drill 2 more hole in the stand, as the Grainger motor has 4 studs instead of 2. You will need 4 8-32 nuts (I used nyla-nuts so they don't vibrate loose). If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Thank you ... I am seriously looking at both the RCBS and Gracey, and I sure that all ODT Forum members appreciate as much "experienced" information as can be found!

1) Have you gotten the thing set-up and working yet? How do you like it? Is it actually faster than the RCBS?
2) Where did you get the motor (I looked on e-bay and saw one for ~$50 shipped, elsewhere $150 shipped!)
3) I agree with you about the instructions, but it seems all of the reloading manufacturers have the same people creating & printing their stuff (might as well be from Mars!) .
4) Are caliber changes a nightmare?
5) Can it do straight-walled pistol (like .38's and ?)

I (as well as others) look forward to your hearing of experiences with Gracey!

I realize that most people love the case trimmer that they currently have.

However this post is about "Production", doing cases quickly (and accurately), where one is doing more than 100 cases at a time, many times where they are doing 1,000 cases in a single session. You could also include those that simply hate case preparation and want to get it done as quickly as possible (while maintaining acceptable accuracy!)

One suggestion that was made concerned "Possum Hollow". Midway reviews are strikingly good, with a few exceptions. I (as well as others) would appreciate your experiences that include "the good, bad, and ugly" experiences using "Possum Hollow" and other such devices to prepare cases:

"Possum Hollow": I read the reviews and like the price, but the accuracy of the cut and cleaning frequency seem to be big questions ... PLUS you will have to have separate de-burr / de-champfer step(s). However, this is only what I read, it would be appreciated and welcomed to get actual user experience from other ODT members.

Many of us (including myself) don't have deep pockets and would love to find the least expensive tool that meets our (collective) needs!

ChuckDog has the RCBS Pro Power Trimmer and gives it a good review, making it a viable solution for-sure!

Another highly respected source's experience with "Possum Hollow" makes it a viable solution, if you have a good set-up to de-burr and de-campher.
It is also a FAR less expensive solution (which is an important consideration for many of us!)
He also recommends looking at the WFT (World's Finest Trimmer) from Little Crow ... Any experience by a ODT Member?

Any comments on an affordable, powered De-Burr / De-Campher station? One that can do both at the same time woud be ideal, the ability to clean the primer pocket would also be a plus!

Thank you ... I am seriously looking at both the RCBS and Gracey, and I sure that all ODT Forum members appreciate as much "experienced" information as can be found!

1) Have you gotten the thing set-up and working yet? How do you like it? Is it actually faster than the RCBS? Yes, it is faster and easier to use, just push the case in to the holder, whereas you must "lock in" the case, then unlatch the trimmer handle and let it slide into position with the RCBS.
2) Where did you get the motor (I looked on e-bay and saw one for ~$50 shipped, elsewhere $150 shipped!) I could not find the recommended motor on eBay, so I ordered a new one from Grainger, which was $164 shipped.
3) I agree with you about the instructions, but it seems all of the reloading manufacturers have the same people creating & printing their stuff (might as well be from Mars!) .
4) Are caliber changes a nightmare? NO, not bad at all. Maybe 5 minutes to change calibers.
5) Can it do straight-walled pistol (like .38's and ?) I do not know, but I have not had a straight-walled cartridge that needed trimming.

I could not get the trimmer to spin freely when I first assembled it. The motor shaft must be pretty much perfectly in line with the trimmer upon installation. There is a locking collar on the rear of the trimmer that I had to loosen slightly as well.

I (as well as others) look forward to your hearing of experiences with Gracey!

My responses are above immediately after the question.

Back
Top Bottom