• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about Pappy Van Winkle...

Wow, pretty stunned by all the feedback. Let me first ask for some forgiveness for referring to this as "Bourbon" when it is indeed a "Rye Whiskey" for those that brought it up. Was just using bourbon as a general classification for the discussion here. Second, from some basic internet sleuthing I've done over the last few weeks, theirs a handful of sites asking as much as $3,000 and up depending on the year it was bottled. That's what made me inquire about potentially trying to move it, legally of course through a licensed broker. I obviously would not have any interest in going to the local slammer over one bottle of "RYE" and few Benjamin's it may or may not command. Also, not particularly interested in going through FaceCrack either as Zuckerbucks is not on my personal fave's list after all the election BS that has surfaced. Anyways, I was just curious to get a few opinions as to whether anyone has used any licensed brokers or such to sell bottles like this?

Just google selling a bottle of bourbon, there are several places to sell if if you don't want to sell it on FB etc. I've sent the info on a few of my bottles to a few over the years and the offers are always kinda low, so I didn't go thru them. But their services are out there.

If you got the bottle for MSRP (shoulda been around $119) and don't want to drink it, I would hold onto it for a rainy day, the value is only going to go up, and depending on what year it is, as years go by different years become more valuable depending on how many bottles were put out that year and the taste of those batches etc.

Rare bourbon or a good nose for a future hard to find bourbon, bought at the right time and held for a while, is one of the best rainy day items you can have around. I started collecting bourbon for fun back in the day no one else was doing it, and some of the bottles I forgot about paid for more than one special Christmas, and came in handy on a rainy day when money was tight etc.

I would hold onto it, put it in the back of the closet and forget you have it....until you need it, or until a special occasion comes along its worth opening for.

But as mentioned, it isn't a pappy van winkle...lol. (Pappy is overrated for what it is sold for anyway)

That it does, and I found that I am not a rye fan at all...I have tried many times but it just doesn't work on my palate
I'm the same. I've had Rye from time to time and it doesn't do it for me. But, after researching this bottle of VW Family Reserve, all the critics say it outstanding and doesn't taste like your other Rye's on the market. Just can't see myself popping it open though knowing how popular the Van Winkle name is and the fact that the value will only rise over time like you said.

Back
Top Bottom