• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reaching my loved ones.

CherryCola

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
Currently, I no longer live in the city but instead a rural area 45 minutes in vehicle and about 8 hours on foot from Savannah. I live in my Father's house with my family. My closest friends live in Savannah and they are pretty much helpless. They are college kids and their families are all in different states and have no one except me that really would have a chance in a SHTF situation.

Saying this... I think my best bet is to travel to them. They mean a lot to me and I can only prepare them to a certain extent. I believe.. where they are located and if it becomes violent they would be hopeless without someone with training. Especially in their location.

I'm wanting to have enough gear to last 3 days.. I know it's not much but I want to be able to pack light because the chances are.. I'll have to hoof it.

I'm thinking about 300 rounds of 5.56 will be more than enough to get there and back. Maybe about 6 MREs.. Medical gear.. Small tent.. Survival knife.. My camel back.. 550 cord... duct tape.. map.. and the other basic gear.

Any thoughts?

Currently, I no longer live in the city but instead a rural area 45 minutes in vehicle and about 8 hours on foot from Savannah. I live in my Father's house with my family. My closest friends live in Savannah and they are pretty much helpless. They are college kids and their families are all in different states and have no one except me that really would have a chance in a SHTF situation.

Saying this... I think my best bet is to travel to them. They mean a lot to me and I can only prepare them to a certain extent. I believe.. where they are located and if it becomes violent they would be hopeless without someone with training. Especially in their location.

I'm wanting to have enough gear to last 3 days.. I know it's not much but I want to be able to pack light because the chances are.. I'll have to hoof it.

I'm thinking about 300 rounds of 5.56 will be more than enough to get there and back. Maybe about 6 MREs.. Medical gear.. Small tent.. Survival knife.. My camel back.. 550 cord... duct tape.. map.. and the other basic gear.

Any thoughts?

300 rds of 5.56 aren't going to do **** against a nuclear blast. Build a tunnel..it's FTW!

Why would you leave your fam and walk for three days right into trouble? I would bug in and give them detailed maps :) If you are going to go first thing I would do is pack a second resupply pack to have them cache at their place, then take 150 rounds of 5.56 out of your pack and put it in theirs, along with 2 MRE's. Add a secondary water source to your pack, either another 6-8 liters or a water filter (filter ftw).

Plan a route that doesnt have very many people or major roads and map out your water and camping points now. Check them out in person on a saturday and make notes of things around there, maybe a church or familiar face in case you get in trouble. Its about 50 miles or so in the car? If its a trip you take all the time tour some backroads next time and see what you'll be running into, and take your map and compass along to get used to using it.

If they cant have ammo at their dorms or whatever, or you dont trust them, bury your resupply somewhere. Srsly. If they are a completely lost cause as far as first aid and survival go I would double up on medical stuff in your second pack and spend the time to teach tbem the basics now. Or just stay home and let them get shot trying to be heroes.

No dorms.. It's mainly one person I am worried about. She has her own place.. She's a little rich city girl who is too trusting for her own good.

jsquared you do have some great points. Normally, I would just dig in and not worry about anyone else but she's like family.. a little sister. You just can't leave family to die...

This may sound harsh but... In a real SHTF situatioin, HARSHNESS RULES....

When you find yourself in a real SHTF situation your number 1 priority should be yourself and then your family. Without you they would also be realitively unprotected. Any and all "friends" should come LAST... I will say that if there was no family involved then the friends would take the number 2 priority spot... but that is not the case....

And as far as what would be enough ammo..? Thatis almost impossible to predict based on such a wide variety of possible senario's.... It is like asking if a peice of rope is long enough before knowing what it will be used for....

If your friends want your help, or you think they will need it then arragements should be made so they can come to you before it gets too bad to reach you...

Just my $0.02 and worth exactly what you paid for it..$0.00

Just Sayin...

Outdoorsman1

Back
Top Bottom