• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reaching my loved ones.

Just guessing here but if its about 45 mins at an average of 60 mph thats 45 miles. 45 miles is a long ways to walk in 8 hrs. especially with enough supplies for you to make it there, and then back with someone else. walking at 20 min miles and you're looking at a 15 hr trek one way. Before you say thats a slow pace remember you would have to keep that pace for 45 miles ish. With your supplies on your back.
Now with using a GPS you would still need a map that uses lat and long, or MGRS etc.. in order to know where you are at. Most maps i know of work in a 1:25000 scale, which means you would need alot of map sheets. whether using GPS or a map and compass.
For the little that I know about your specific situation, my advice would be to have your supplies handy in your vehicle and try to make it there by car. If you have to bail then at least you got as close as you could and saved yourself some of that mileage. you could always pick the car up on the way back. Just get yourself a good road atlas that shows the back roads and plot a route and recon that route before the SHTF. And following roads isnt as dangerous as you might think. All you have to do is handrail the roads and not walk on the actual road itself. Give yourself about 25-30 yds of space between you and the road. You could possibly even stash some caches on the way if you are really serious.

I know that som of these numbers are probably off but this was just my way of giving you an example
The most important part is to come up with a realistic plan and then rehearse that plan while planning your back up plan.

Look at the bright side, to get back to my family I would have to walk 20 min miles for 12 hrs a day for 14 days to get back to my wife and son right now. :)

:confused::confused: WHOS TO SAY SHE WILL STILL BE THERE, A LOT CAN HAPPEN WTSHTF AND YOU ARE EXPENDING A LOT OF RESORCES ON THIS PERSON AND PUTTING YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE . WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET BACK TO YOUR FARM AND SOMEONE ELSE HAS CLAMED YOUR FARM AND IS UNWILLING TO GIVE IT UP AND YOU DID NOT LOCATE THIS PERSON? BUT YOU MUST SURLEY CARE FOR THIS PERSON AS YOU ARE WILLING TO DIE FOR HER. DITCH THE TENT SLEEPING BAG,TAKE WATER, AMMO AND FOOD. AND GOOD LUCK.

If there is a EMP effect from a nuclear blast, regardless of what is in orbit, no electronics will work within EMP radius. If it is a straight EMP weapon then just as bad because the electonics fired with be at a greater radius. Nothing with electronics will work..no GPS, newer vehicles with computers chips, phones, nadda....

I'd you are planning on 3 days pack for 7, if you are packing for a 2 people pack for 5, no good plan survives the first contact. Plan for optimal and add at least 3 to each scenario. If your friend/family has those that are important you got a lot more to worry about. Being hatd is easy to talk about but hard to live by. Find your resupply points. Most important. Nothing is best case.

At some point you have to draw the line and realize the adults you are talking to need to make their own decisions. Make them memorize your address (don't give them detailed plans in advance in case somebody gets ahold of them and decides to take what's yours). I talk to my family about preparing for some sort of financial melt down where they may have to relocate for a time, but they don't pay much attention. They know where I live if they need help and they can make the 500 mile trek while I keep my family and dwelling safe.

You're assuming some kind of natural disaster of instant SHTF scenario - when more than likely we'll be dealing with some sort of societal collapse as a result of many different scenarios. If anything happens you and your family will probably still have time to talk and make decisions and get people on the road.

There's probably a 90% chance of nothing going cataclysmically wrong in the next 20 years outside of our bonehead politicians screwing up our economy beyond repair - but I'm still preparing for that 10% chance because it's abundently clear there is the potential for some sort of crap hitting the fan. I'm betting on a chaotic financial meltdown. Money will drive people into a frenzy quicker than a volcano, meteor or earthquake. Add another 10% to the real unemployment rate and interrupt foodstamps and things could get a little nuts. Throw in Obummer getting reelected and Timmay and the Bernankenstein sticking around and, well, that could be a disaster of epic hollywood proportions.

I tend to keep an eye on scripture, too. There's another 7 year SHTF scenario there worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom