• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recently I was in the market for a chainsaw. This is what I found

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I use treated gas to reduce or get rid of the ethanol problem. Great idea to put corn in a gas tank!

Poulan Pro and in the end that's what they make you "A Pullin Pro" before it starts or might start.

Stihl is what I would normally go with but they are sold by dealers and my nearest dealer is about 40 miles away.

Tractor Supply and Lowes sells Husqvarna. I looked at a $400 Husqvarna and there were two reasons I refused to buy it.
1. $400 and no case but to add insult to injury there was a Husqvarna case new in the box sold separately sitting next to it for $40.
2. The cover to the engine where the air filter is located is now held in place with cheap all plastic snap tabs that will certainly break under normal use. $400 and that's the best they can come up with is even more plastic. Even the $170 Poulan came with a case and metal screws that held the cover on. Lots of money for cheaply made chainsaw.

I ended up driving the extra 15 miles to Home Depot and bought an Echo CS 490. Excellent 50CC saw. No priming bulb and one or two pulls to start it. Metal screws on the cover. Metal on/off switch. Well made and should last many years.

chain saws are mostly disposable unless you get an expensive one.
Yep, when you get what's considered a "homeowner" chainsaw like what they sell at Lowes and Home Depot that's what you get. If you wont a solid build Husky or Stihl you have to get a "Pro" model. Pricey but will last forever.

I’ll add to this, I had a Stihl, hard to crank. Had a Husky, good saw but for some reason I just didn’t like it. Now have a “toy” Echo and a large one. Both always crank on 2nd pull and have had no problems in three years. I do use 100% gas and add a little Seafoam to it.

I had a Echo weedeater that just wouldn’t die. My dealer only carries Stihl now so thats what I have now. I switched over to VP premix fuel a year ago for my saw, weedeater, and blower. Kinda expensive but no more than I use them it works for me. My Stihl saw is 18 years old and never been back to shop. Only reason I switched to Stihl is because he quit carrying Echo.

Back
Top Bottom