• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

Whether to run a magnified optic or not is a matter of personal preference. I'm fine with a straight 1x Aimpoint for what I use/plan to use a carbine for. I like the simplicity of it. I have binos and a monocular if I need to scan for stuff.

When my daughter was 10YOA she was ringing steel at 498 yards with my DDM4, Aimpoint Micro T1 and M193 ball ammo.

I really like the idea of the Elcan 1x:4x32mm. It does 1x and 4x and nothing in between, with the flip of a lever. Makes perfect sense to me, I just can't justify the approximately $2200 price tag. Very nice, if I win that lottery........

If you want to try a 1-4x or similar, try to look at the exact one you want in person first. Many optics that say they are 1x aren't actually a true 1x. Even a 1.1x will mess you up with a fishbowl effect when trying to run it as a 1x red dot.

Whether to run a magnified optic or not is a matter of personal preference. I'm fine with a straight 1x Aimpoint for what I use/plan to use a carbine for. I like the simplicity of it. I have binos and a monocular if I need to scan for stuff.

When my daughter was 10YOA she was ringing steel at 498 yards with my DDM4, Aimpoint Micro T1 and M193 ball ammo.

I really like the idea of the Elcan 1x:4x32mm. It does 1x and 4x and nothing in between, with the flip of a lever. Makes perfect sense to me, I just can't justify the approximately $2200 price tag. Very nice, if I win that lottery........

If you want to try a 1-4x or similar, try to look at the exact one you want in person first. Many optics that say they are 1x aren't actually a true 1x. Even a 1.1x will mess you up with a fishbowl effect when trying to run it as a 1x red dot.

I have to agree. Definitely try the exact scope you'd like. I tried a buddies Trijicon Accupoint and it was absolutely nice. I used to have a Bushnell AR 1-4 and it had the fishbowl deal. All in all, my eyes are still young enough that I prefer an aimpoint. But if I had the extra coin I wouldn't mind a trijicon or nightforce on a back up rifle.

The notion that NB is a "gimmick" is ridiculous. Do you ever shoot an AR suppressed? When I run the gun with a standard bolt carrier/bolt it takes a heavy solvent to clean the bolt/bolt carrier ..... when I use a NB bolt/bolt carrier the carbon from the suppressor fouling literally wipes off with a paper towel with one rub and zero elbow grease.

Nickel boron is a gimmick. In no way are the actual parts of the BCG you need to clean on a BCG any easier. The Nickel boron ridged surface will wear down too, so that smoothness you initially feel will eventually require lubrication too. The outside of the carrier just wipes off tad easier, but that is it. You can get that NP3 finish like whats on DS and Wilson Combat carriers, but the coating is not of any importance compared to quality of steel, attentiveness to QC of the BCG its self, as well as having a properly staked gas key.

Just stick to a quality BCG's -> BCM, DD, and even the PSA Premium, and forget that gimmick stuff.

Also, I don't like flashlights on my rifles personally, but I don't use my AR's for home defense. Just target practice and sometimes competitive shooting.

If you start with a good factory rifle, there will be little needed to change to have a nice, reliable rifle.

Manufacturers like BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, KAC, LMT, PSA Premium will all come factory with the reliable , quality components. If you building one, stick to a reputable manufacturers for parts like the above mentioned and you will almost always end up with good components. Other sources for parts also include VLTOR and Battle Arms Development. Primary arms is a great website to get alot of quality components. Be very cautious of Amazon and some odd ball web sites. If pricing is way less than normal parts your looking at, its for a reason.

As far as optics, its 100% dependent on what you want to do witht he rifle. That can and has been an entire thread worth of info too.

Slings are all preference too, 1, 2, and 3 point slings all have their purpose and some people like certain styles better than others. I like single point slings on my carbine if I am in a match, but then prefer the 2 point for use on rifles like my 20" NM gun.

The notion that NB is a "gimmick" is ridiculous. Do you ever shoot an AR suppressed? When I run the gun with a standard bolt carrier/bolt it takes a heavy solvent to clean the bolt/bolt carrier ..... when I use a NB bolt/bolt carrier the carbon from the suppressor fouling literally wipes off with a paper towel with one rub and zero elbow grease.
Sorry your feelings got hurt. The outside of the carrier wipes off easy, but the bolt and inside of the carrier do not. I have a NB carrier and just find minimal difference in clean times between them. I have also noticed this across a few other NB carriers I have dealt with.

If you like it, that's great for you. I personally don't think they are worth any premium over a std phosphate carrier given my experience with them.

Sorry your feelings got hurt. The outside of the carrier wipes off easy, but the bolt and inside of the carrier do not. I have a NB carrier and just find minimal difference in clean times between them. I have also noticed this across a few other NB carriers I have dealt with.

If you like it, that's great for you. I personally don't think they are worth any premium over a std phosphate carrier given my experience with them.

I'll say I'm not 100 percent sold on the NB coating either. I have a NB Bolt on a standard carrier. All the very wet/lubed areas did seem to wipe off easy, just like my standard bolts, but I did have to scrape some carbon off of it. My personal opinion, again opinion, so far is that they do seem to possibly be easier to clean. Is it so much easier that it's worth the extra money for one? I believe that's up to the individual. For me, I was given the bolt by a friend. I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to procure one myself.

I will say an all NB BCG in some guns do look kinda cool though.

Again not trying to stir the pot, that's just my own very personal opinion. Others may be having much greater results. Some not.

Edit: I will say I do not believe they are necessary for a great rifle. I kinda view it as a luxury more than a must have. Plenty of extremely reliable rifles have plain Jane milspec in them. All my other rifles have standard colt, BCM, and PSA BCG and are so reliable it's boring.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the bolt. I don't know where you got this "feelings hurt" stuff .... I'm just pointing out to others that are not you that the idea that it's a gimmick is very much just one man's opinion not, necessarily, a reality. (I say this as I wipe my bolt down with a napkin and nothing else and the carbon from today's shoot is just wiping away with no effort)

I'm talking about the bolt. I don't know where you got this "feelings hurt" stuff .... I'm just pointing out to others that are not you that the idea that it's a gimmick is very much just one man's opinion not, necessarily, a reality. (I say this as I wipe my bolt down with a napkin and nothing else and the carbon from today's shoot is just wiping away with no effort)
Glad you have those results. I just cleaned my NB bolt last weekend and had to scrape it off like my phosphate carriers. I wouldn't be so opposed to them if I had better experiences after dealing with a few of them.

Maybe some are coated better than others...

Just got a muzzle break for the BCM ..it is a Wheaton Arms three gun brake....flatten out that recoil and muzzle rise for fast on target follow up shots..this brake really works...best break I have tried...so far
20160111_210005.jpg
20160111_205933.jpg

havent tried the ZMAX yet?
Lol, no...

I was hoping NB would have been a nice option as cleaning the bolt/carrier is not my favorite thing to do, but I felt let down after getting one and after cleaning several others.

I would like to try an NP3 coated bolt, but not really wanting to fork over the cash on a hope.

There is new a "cryptic coating" that appears to be pretty easy to clean, but at $275, I would still rather have 2 BCM BCG's..

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/foghorn/gear-review-cryptic-coatings-bolt-carrier-group/

Back
Top Bottom