• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red Flag laws.

No crime committed, take the guns anyway?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've mentioned before that while going through my divorce the ex filed a false police report and a PFA, protection from abuse, order was issued against me.
I had to surrender my guns to the sheriff's office and it cost me over $1000 in attorneys fees to get them back.
It's the only instance I know of where you are guilty until you can prove your innocence.

I can only imagine how misused any red flag laws will be.
This AM I walked out onto my front porch with a pistol because 3 dogs were there trying to get my cat.
If my neighbors now feel unsafe can they call and have my guns taken away?
Is the cat ok?

Sadly, so far no court has found it to violate due process (as far as I've seen).

Also, being federal, all states have the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights, and the SCOTUS found that applied to the states in McDonald v. City of Chicago.

And you can't sue the state for monetary damages if they violate your rights (or a court determines that after the fact). They may volunteer to make a payment if they choose, but it's not required. If you tried to take it to civil court it would be thrown out unless you could prove negligence on the part of individual government employees. Making bad laws and enforcing them doesn't cover that...

So, in light of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock and angrily cursing him out at the Oscars show the other night...

... could Smith be subject to a red flag law?

Apparently not in California, because (1) the victim, Rock, didn't seek a Court order, and '(2) Rock isn't in the kind of relationship to the offender that would give him standing to seek a red flag order-- he's not a lover, a parent, a co-worker, a student, etc. Not just anybody can get a red flag gun seizure order on another person, not even in ultra-liberal and litigious California.

But suppose Will Smith and Chris Rock had been co-workers at the same studio, both under contract to the same company, when this bytch-slap happened. Then if Rock wanted a court order disarming Smith, could he get one?

That situation shows the problem with Red Flag laws, and how they can be misapplied. Because even though I think Smith was clearly in the wrong and committed misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct, the circumstances of this are just not enough to call him a real Danger to himself or others-- a danger that puts people lives at risk, or would expose them to serious bodily injury.

So, in light of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock and angrily cursing him out at the Oscars show the other night...

... could Smith be subject to a red flag law?

Apparently not in California, because (1) the victim, Rock, didn't seek a Court order, and '(2) Rock isn't in the kind of relationship to the offender that would give him standing to seek a red flag order-- he's not a lover, a parent, a co-worker, a student, etc. Not just anybody can get a red flag gun seizure order on another person, not even in ultra-liberal and litigious California.

But suppose Will Smith and Chris Rock had been co-workers at the same studio, both under contract to the same company, when this bytch-slap happened. Then if Rock wanted a court order disarming Smith, could he get one?

That situation shows the problem with Red Flag laws, and how they can be misapplied. Because even though I think Smith was clearly in the wrong and committed misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct, the circumstances of this are just not enough to call him a real Danger to himself or others-- a danger that puts people lives at risk, or would expose them to serious bodily injury.
This is the problem with red flag laws, goober lawyers and bureaucrats who get off on analyzing if they can legally steal from someone or not would seize every opportunity they get.

Back
Top Bottom