• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red Flag laws.

No crime committed, take the guns anyway?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Under current law, that person has to adjudicated insane... that’s is different from unstable but able to take care of themselves.
I dealt with this as LE for a long while. In its current form the law does not work. Probably could be expanded to fix it, but it’s a joke of a law now.
And remember the law says “up to 72 hours” that usually equates to about 1.5 hours before LE is getting a call from the hospital and we would have to return the subject home.
Where soon enough we get another call, usually resulting in an arrest that is too weak to stand up, but calms the situation down enough too keep the family safe for a week or so...

That's a valid point. But, if 3 people go to a judge a report someone as mentally ill, the suspected person can be sent to a mental health hospital to be evaluated. This process is 72 hour's minimum and is timed in a working week. So if the suspect arrives on Saturday, his time won't start till monday. I have checked in many people on this 72 hour hold, and usually gives the evaluation team ample time to check the person out. If the team deems to person a risk to himself or others, he or she can be held not stable to be on the outside. This process can take months.

That's a valid point. But, if 3 people go to a judge a report someone as mentally ill, the suspected person can be sent to a mental health hospital to be evaluated. This process is 72 hour's minimum and is timed in a working week. So if the suspect arrives on Saturday, his time won't start till monday. I have checked in many people on this 72 hour hold, and usually gives the evaluation team ample time to check the person out. If the team deems to person a risk to himself or others, he or she can be held not stable to be on the outside. This process can take months.
That is “up to” 72 hours with out further actions.
Reality is: Family goes to judge and he signs the Warrant, officers go and pick up said individual and take him to the nearest mental health screening facility. If the person is savvy enough they will answer all the questions just right and be released.
I have been involved when after a short armed stand off, the person is released before the report is finished. And not just a few times... and a few times lead to family being attacked.
If an officer does an 1013 that person may be released from the ER before the officer can get out of the parking lot.
I’ve taken calls from frightened family members that had expected at least 72 hours.
I’ve taken violent mental health patients to the hospitals over and over again because they are released the moment the insurance or govt assistance has been exhausted for that admission.
I have a granddaughter that has been admitted at least 20 times for attempted suicide, who has been released each time the moment Medicaid says they are done paying.
Families cannot afford the costs of mental confinement.

On the flip side: if you are able to afford the treatment, not only will they commit that person faster they will keep them against their will longer. It’s all about money, not the good of the patient.

I know you are in the field and when they get to you, you do what’s right. We’ve talked before.
But you are the exception to the rule. Not the norm, unfortunately.

RFL legislation will open thr floodgates for liberal special interest groups to petition the courts to disarm anyone that opposes their lefty agendas.

Don't believe in global warming? Obviously unstable and dangerous to society.

Remember, there is no way to prove sanity, it is all subjective opinion.

Back
Top Bottom