• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloaded 9mm Problems...

BkBigKid

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
240   0
Reaction score
first off I don't reload and don't have the equipment to do so.

I acquired about 900 rounds of some 9mm range ammo. (not from anyone on here) shooting it through various guns I have had 6 or 7 rounds blow out the back of the casing where the extractor is. I had to replace on extractor on a Ruger. the others just blew out the casing and mis-feed.

I have roughly 600-700 of this stuff left and do not want to shoot any more of it till I can figure out how to do so without damaging me or the firearm.

I do have a Digital Grain scale so I could weigh each round ( need to know if this is feasible to weed out the extremely Hot rounds) or if i am wasting my time.

any other suggestions on how to safely finish shooting up this ammo with endangering me or others around me. (ammo will not be near a firearm until i am sure it is absolutely safe to shoot) I have all ten fingers with no damage and if i have to burry this ammo to be safe then that will be done as well, I will not give it to anyone as a option not going to have that on my concious!

what brand of ammo is it? steel / brass / aluminum case?

just re-read your post "reloaded 9mm ammo"

if this isnt from a single manufacturer (ie GA Arms), I would personally not take the chance of shooting anymore unless you have an all steel beast of a gun.

If it were me... I would pull the bullets, dispose of the powder (however you see fit ;) ) and then reload the cases CORRECTLY since you have bullets and primers already.

Also... I would never buy reloads from anyone and I also never sell my reloads

Last edited:
The problem may not be the rounds. It may be you firearm. If it fires out of battery (i.e. not being fully locked up) then you will get the same issue with case heads blowing out.

Some guns leave the case heads slightly bulged when you fire them and that bulge doesn't get sized out when reloading. In most guns this will result in a FTF issue, but the round will go most of the way in. The gun shouldn't fire but if it does the exposed part of the case is unsupported and will most likely blow out.

One way you can check if this is the issue is to load one of these reloads behind a factory round. Fire the factory round and then check to see if the slide returns to battery. Check with mulitple rounds. If it is not going into battery every time the next step is to see if it will fire that way. What you do there is mark the slide and frame with a pencil when it doesnt go into battery so you know where to position the slide. Unload the firearm. Position the slide to the match mark and see if the hammer drops when you pull the trigger.

That should tell you if it the ammo or the gun.

Assuming the problem is not your gun, I agree with the bullet puller option. Pull the bullets, save the powder and the bullets. Get some new powder, load the primed cases and the pulled bullets with new powder. Take the pulled powder out back, place it on something metal and make a gunpowder trail up to it. Light it and stand back. Makes a cool show at night.

You can use the bullet puller to remove the powder from 10 or 15 rounds. Weight the powder and see if it is much over 4 grains per charge.

it is all brass cased ammo,

all rounds fit in a barrel off the gun as they should just like a factory round does. tried this already for buldging cases

I ruled out a it being a gun issue as it has blown cases in 3 different guns.

the only logical solution is to much powder in certain rounds. can each round be weighed and anything over xxx grain be tossed with the other be safe to shoot?

it is all brass cased ammo,

all rounds fit in a barrel off the gun as they should just like a factory round does. tried this already for buldging cases

I ruled out a it being a gun issue as it has blown cases in 3 different guns.

the only logical solution is to much powder in certain rounds. can each round be weighed and anything over xxx grain be tossed with the other be safe to shoot?

the problem with weighing the rounds is that not only will you see weight differences in the bullets, but also in the brass. Therefore, you have 3 variables that will differ in each round. Since you dont reload, you options are to take the chance of blowing yourself or your gun up by using it or dump the lot and err on the side of caution.

Alternatively.. this guy may be interested in it at, of course, a very reasonable price due to the aforementioned problems. Since I reload, I would be pulling each bullet and reloading it properly.

It's going to be tough trying to weigh each round. Too many variables with such small amount of powder. Best bet is to buy a bullet puller, 15 bucks and start pulling the bullets and sale them that way . You may get some of your money back.

Back
Top Bottom